IGNORED

The Way Back Machine- 1972 240z - 113 Froggy Green

git

Hi git:

Great project ! Some more questions...

Did you strip the undercarriage as well?

What are you doing to fight the rust issues inside the panels? {doors, rockers,dog legs, inside the front fenders etc}.

Are you keeping close track of the total costs? {aka the slippery slope that many of us have found ourselves on - LOL}

Keep the pictures coming -

FWIW,

Carl B.

The undercarriage was in remarkably good shape and there was not any floorboard or firewall rust. We patched a very small area of rust on the driver's side front quarter panel, but all of the typical rusty spots were rust free. The undercarriage is being thoroughly cleaned as we speak and will get another coat of the gravel protection that came out of the factory. I have every receipt for parts, tools, shop work, etc, but I doubt that I will ever add it all up. Based on the quick numbers that I can add up in my head, I am an idiot for spending as much as I have spent and it ain't over yet. I must say though, that I have experienced so much joy working on this car that I really don't care about the crazy dollars that it has cost.

Sorry for all of the questions. We are approaching things in similar ways. I used Jet Hot for my exhaust manifold also. I think I will do as you did for valve cover and timing cover. Did you coat gasket surfaces? What about surfaces exposed to the internal engine- under side of valve cover, underside of timing cover, water pump area of timing cover?

I did have the entire valve and timing cover ceramic coated. I hope that is okay, now that you raise the question. The shop that is helping me didn't raise any concerns, but I will get his opinion before I fire up the engine in about a month. I understand that the ceramic coating actually helps lower temps, but I don't have any real experience with it, otherwise.

Areas of concern for me, and the reason I wanted your take on the topic, include....

- Could the Jet Hot coating fail when in contact with anti-freeze, oil, or fuel in oil? If so, not good.

- Front main seal surface clearance alteration.

- Clearance alteration of "bearing" surface in timing cover where oil pump / distributor shaft rotates.

Really nice restoration git ............done the right way. The end product will be awesome.......can't wait to see it. What money is made for!

Thank you for the note. I've used your page and pictures to help me though the process. Your stable of Z's is amazing. Do you mind telling me what the offset is on your Panasports on the yellow 240z with the 225's?

git.....I believe the Panasport's are "0" offset on the green car.......I just ordered a set for the orange car from Spruell Racing in Atlanta. They have the best price on Panasports. I think they would look great on your green car.

Edited by Diseazd

• 4 weeks later...

I actually recently purchased some 0 offset 16x7 Panasports with the intention of using them on this rebuild, but the shop that is helping me with the restoration has talked me into showing the car at some autorama events. As such, I'm am going to sell the Panasports. If anyone is in the market, I will knock off $150 from what I paid (I have the receipt). I also have 5 really cool and clean Centerline mags with very low miles on 185 70 14 Toyo Spectrums available for sale. Does anyone know of a good site to advertise these wheels and tires for sale?

post-27539-14150825641672_thumb.jpg

post-27539-1415082564239_thumb.jpg

So does that mean that you are putting back on the original wheels + wheel covers?

I do like the green that you painted the car, but I must confess I also like the bare naked lady stripped down to the metal. Kind of a Japanese Deloren look.

I already have seller's regret about getting rid of the Panasports, but I will probably try to find some slotted mags that are close to original, yet accommodate a 15" or 16" tire. She did have a little DeLoren thing going on for awhile.