IGNORED

Spraying of all the hollow parts against rust?

bartsscooterservice

Okay.. I ordered one of these:

ACTIE !! HBM Inspectiecamera / Endoscoop - HBM Machines BV

I thought it would be very handy to go into these places and check if i did hit everything? Maybe I can link it to the applicator so I can see what I am " hitting " with the spray? I needed one of these anyhow for my work, but thought of why not use it to look inside the hollow area's of the car?

I can't get to that link from here, maybe it is similar to this, Harbor Freight I noticed last week is selling a $179 borescope camera 8MM in DIA with recording, don't know if it is a good one. I'd love to hear about results you get. Don't know why I get excited about looking inside hollow areas for anti corrosion work but I do. I would think the spray mist might float around and get on the lens, might want to cover it with clear plastic of some kind if you try that? Or try a before and after recording? Please post the fun you have with that camera if you can and want to.

I remember FastWoman talking about cosmoline anti corrosion grease in an old thread, I believe favored by the military around WWII for metal protection. Something by that name is sold on eBay in a spray can, don't know if it is the same material. It is expensive to my taste, I have thought of spraying it just in the areas on the Z that have the most rust that I haven't already sprayed with the transtar amber material (a waxy sticky stuff that flows freely when applied and never seems to dry after it gets waxy and sticky).

Edited by Mikes Z car

I'm planning on spraying all the rusty hollow places that the car has with some kind of spray to stop the rust process for most of the part.

If there is already rust in those cavities these sprays do little to nothing to slow or stop the progression of rust. It might make you feel better.

Edited by John Coffey

My dad fought corrosion for Naval Air - he got me using phosphoric acid (OSPHO) in my rust war for the old chevy. It's fairly cheap by the gallon and could be used in some kind of sprayer. Have some Eastwood products - maybe they're better - but haven't used them yet.

If there is already rust in those cavities these sprays do little to nothing to slow or stop the progression of rust. It might make you feel better.

Sorry for that John but In Canada we are more likely to get rust on anything then you are in California and RUST CHECK have a product that will spray on. it will slow the process

of rust for sure. If you only have surface rust it will definitely help. The further the rust is in the metal the less it will help but it is formulated to go throuh the rust to get to metal so it wil stop the rust. Do not use WD40 as rust prevention and/or for lubrication purpose it is kind of a liquid wrench use it to loosen stuck parts then wash it off and lubricate. And for visible and reachable areas check POR15 on google. It is paint and this stuff is good applied as directed it will not peel or crack it will stay there for very long.

I can't get to that link from here, maybe it is similar to this, Harbor Freight I noticed last week is selling a $179 borescope camera 8MM in DIA with recording, don't know if it is a good one. I'd love to hear about results you get. Don't know why I get excited about looking inside hollow areas for anti corrosion work but I do. I would think the spray mist might float around and get on the lens, might want to cover it with clear plastic of some kind if you try that? Or try a before and after recording? Please post the fun you have with that camera if you can and want to.

I remember FastWoman talking about cosmoline anti corrosion grease in an old thread, I believe favored by the military around WWII for metal protection. Something by that name is sold on eBay in a spray can, don't know if it is the same material. It is expensive to my taste, I have thought of spraying it just in the areas on the Z that have the most rust that I haven't already sprayed with the transtar amber material (a waxy sticky stuff that flows freely when applied and never seems to dry after it gets waxy and sticky).

Uhm here's a picture:

scgwf8.jpg

Yeah I'll see how it goes :) Def will post before and after the process...

I've repaired probably 30 rusty 240Zs over the years and many have been after the owners sprayed POR15, Rust Stop, and many other rust fixers, encapsulators, penetrants, waxes, etc. trying to stop the rust. None of them worked. In fact, they just added to the cost of the repairs because I had to get all that crap off the good metal to do any welding.

Here's a picture of one that had a bunch of rust inhibitor sprayed in the rear of the rocker and up over the wheel well. All it did was stick the rust together.

post-798-14150822847148_thumb.jpg

FWIW, I bought CorrosionX to spray in my cavities. Wait, that didn't come out right... This stuff is pretty highly touted by the gun/aviation/boating communities. Haven't done the spraying yet. Want to get all the body and paint work done first.

https://www.google.com/search?q=corrosion+x&oq=corrosion+x&aqs=chrome.0.59j61j62l2j59l2.2407&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=corrosion+x&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=8XoZUYajN-WujAKOoIDQCA&ved=0CFMQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42261806,d.cGE&fp=e6bb16c83cc7170b&biw=1680&bih=925