IGNORED

That's cheap... Datsun

Caen Fred

I took my rear lens appart, and found that it was far from hi-end tech in there! No wonder it does not shine like the Christmas tree it should be. Only a dull semi-gloss reflecting surface and a lot of air… I will see if I can improve the beast, and I will let you know…

Arg... Personally, I hate looking into bright tail lights. Just was behind some new bright LED lights this morning at a stop light and had to shield my eyes from the glare. Stock is good enough OR you can add all kind of mirror reflectors like the ricers have....

Sorry TK, not trying to be antagonistic, but in my opinion, due to the LACK of a 3rd brake light on the 240 AND the fact that it sits so low to the ground, I vote for making them as bright as possible.

They'll never be as bright as those LED's you see on the market now days. At best you'll get a nice bright light. However, if your eyes are bothered by the tail lights on vehicles now days, you should either get a small tint on your glasses, or avoid driving at night. You might check into either those yellow tinted shooting glasses or the blue blockers. Both of those purport to improve night vision.

As far as to HOW to improve the 240 tail light:

1) After disassembly, wash the lenses, reflectors and housing. I prefer a nice warm sudsy water and the use of an old toothbrush to get into the crevices.

2) After thorough drying, PAINT the surrounding plastic housing around the bulbs a BRIGHT WHITE. I use a paint from my R/C hobby which is called "Polar White" and I just brush it on. Since the important thing is to get a full coverage, the brush marks will not be noticeable.

3) After the Paint sets, POLISH the metal reflectors with your choice of metal polish. You don't need to be overzealous here as the intent is to just provide a basic reflective surface.

4) Polish the lenses with Meguiar's 3 step Plastic Cleaner process.

5) Reassemble and remount.

The difference in the brightness and clarity of the lights will definitely please you, I guarantee it.

Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2401351188&category=6755

I dont know anything about this seller. I just wanted to put up a post with the LED taillight that will fit the Z I think its the 1157.

They sell led lamps that can fit all the lamps on the Z front rear & side in any color. I have found that if you use the clear ( if you can find them) LED inside the stock tinted lens. It dosent look ( ricer ) just nice and bright. I cant say i have used them on a Z yet. But I did use them in my vette and they are twice the lamp of the stock bulb.

Don't know if the lack of a 3rd brake like causes accidents, or if realy bright brake lights will prevent one either. Heck, why not add a red stobe light (like some Metro buses have) if more illumination will prevent an accident? Stupid drivers will still rear end you on a wet road no matter how bright the lights are.

Going brighter than stock is not neccesary, probably won't prevent accidents, looks like a ricer, and is a full time pain for anyone stopped behind you., IMHO.

If it's a real concern, try Monokote from a hobby shop or aluminum tape from a hardware store...

I posted a topic about this a while ago - it has heaps of information in it if you just use the search!!!

I took mine apart, used spray paint to paint hte plastic white (after cleaning and all that), didn't do anything to the aluminium (it was clean anyway), cleaned the lenses inside and out, then stuck it all back together, using some silicone sealant stuff which is as far as I could tell the same stuff that they used originally to seal them. They now shine like a well endowed woman. If you look at the newer picstures of my Z in my gallery, you'll see that the camera cant quite capture the tail lights properly - the red is too rich that detail is lost in development!

btw, use a screwdriver and TIME to get the lens apart from the backing... this took ages for me to do as I didn't know quite what to do! Just take your time, and don't be overly careful as you'll never get it off if you dont use some kind of force.