IGNORED

Harmonic Damper problem

steve91tt

Steve,

since you are running in a stock rpm range, why not have the original damper rebuilt? I sent my damper to the Damper Doctor -that was years ago. He guarantees the damper for 3 years. He redoes the rubber and says the damper will exceed factory HP numbers and rpm. I don't see the need for a 10krpm damper.

Side note: Glad to see a company supporting our cars-MSA- but they don't seem really check out the products they sell.

Does anyone know if the stock damper or the Euro damper mentioned above fails safe? One good thing about the Powerforce damper and the BHJ/Rebello unit is that when the rubber fails the inner and outer rings stay together. If this was not the case, and it failed on the track I suspect it would have gone through my rad or worse. I am hesitant to install a damper that would fly apart if the rubber fails.

I wish you guys had mentioned this stuff last winter, when I needed to get a new one for the '78. I had to install a used one from Rod's Datsun parts, but it looked very nice and the rubber was kinda new-looking. the old one had a chip where the key went and needed welding, and the rubber was starting to dry out.

It might be nice to have a spare (stock style, with two grooves for the '78 a/c) to slip on sometime, especially if it's a little lighter.

Come to think of it, I might still have the old one to rebuild. Can they also lighten it a little?

The bad thing is the guy that repaired the engine retired a few weeks after my car was done. :disappoin

Edited by TomoHawk

After spending some time on HybidZ and speaking to Dave Rebello I've come to the conclusion that ATI and BHJ dynamics make the best dampers for my application. Dave uses the ATI units on the engines he builds and he says that he has never had one fail. I decided to go with the NIS-REB-6-SP from BHJ. Dave recommended this model for a L30 or L32 stroker such as mine. He recommends NIS-REB-6 for a higher rev'ing application.

the euro dampner has been on there for years and I wind it out pretty good. No problems.

I don't doubt that the euro dampers can take a beating but the euro units that are out there are getting old so if I went that way I'd want to have it rebuilt before I used it. I don't have time to start down that path as I have 4 vintage car races to run in the next 2 weeks.