Harmonic Damper problem - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Harmonic Damper problem

Featured Replies

My harmonic damper decided to come apart on my track car last night.

post-20531-14150821853196_thumb.jpg

It was only 54 weeks old (52 week warranty). It used to look like this...

post-20531-14150821853842_thumb.jpg

"The manufacturer reported safe rev limit with this Damper is 10000 rpms"

I'm hoping the engine was not damaged. Time will tell.

Any recommendations for a new damper? I'm leaning towards this one...

http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=241&zenid=0usn3hloiia3ff5sr1himig8n6

What brand and model so future damper replacers can avoid the problem?

Did you install it yourself or have a shop do it? Just curious about any installation problems. I know that MSA's damper is often too tight to install without modification.

I am a sucker and bought two of those. They do not fit. Seeing that they now self destruct on top of not fitting...what a joke that company is for making it, motorsport for selling it, and me for buying it.

I bought two also......threw them in the dump.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Blue, Diseazd, Why did you guys buy two of them? Wasnt the first one bad enough?:stupid:;)

Looking at the photo, she must of went with a bang. Your lucky it didnt damage anything else while it was disintegrating.

  • Author

To be fair, my car spends most of its life between 5000-7000 RPM. I have the same damper on my street car and I'm guessing it will last a good long time. So I guess I'm guilty of buying two of these as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a damper that will handle high RPM's for extended periods of time?

Blue, Diseazd, Why did you guys buy two of them? Wasnt the first one bad enough?:stupid:;)

Looking at the photo, she must of went with a bang. Your lucky it didnt damage anything else while it was disintegrating.

I've got 5 Z's......I ordered them both at the same time. They were so damned tight, I had them machined to fit. Still sucked.....threw them away......didn't want to give anyone else my headache. Just say I trusted MSA to know it's product.

Double post.....double screw up.

Edited by Diseazd
Double post

Steve,

I have two of the Euro dampners that Datsun sold out of the comp department. I also have some alloy pulley that I think they also sold. I don't really know what they're worth but if you need it, I'm sure we can come to some sort of agreement... Oh, I have an extra of that comp pulley bolt too...

post-16545-14150821853971_thumb.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.