IGNORED

Demand for correct 240z Bumpers

Hardway

I have started a conversation with the seller of the stainless bumpers that can be purchased on Ebay as well as a few other parts sites. I have asked what it would take to produce a set that included the bumperettes and associated rubber that goes over them. I have not seen the SS bumpers first hand but I have seen pics online and they look pretty good. What I am curious about is what demand is there for a true correct set of bumpers that were made of steel and chrome plated just like the originals. Nothing beats the look of chrome and I am doing some asking around to determine if enough were made could we get them made cheaper than a set of SS bumpers.

I have seen these bumpers and they do looked good on a Triumph. You can tell they are not chrome. The shine is different and the owner said they scratch easy too, but light scratches can be polished out. The bumpers are all made in Vietnam and these particular ones were sold in the UK, but you can pick them up just about antwhere.

Some vendors have better contact with the factory and can arrange extras like bumperettes. The triumph guy have some minor mods done to his order. He just sent them a drawing of what he wanted.

Chas

Although not claiming to be an expert, is there some reason why you can't have the SS bumpers chromed? That would seem to be the best of both worlds.

No reason, but it just costs a lot more. We chrome SS304L and SS316L shafts to give the shaft a harder wear surface for our process equipment.

Hard plating (chroming) SS is a little different than normal steel, but in general its the same process.

Edited by EuroDat

Posted by COZYE in February 2011

I just ordered these bumpers from the Harrington Group http://www.groupharrington.com/en and they arrived Friday. Total time from order to arrival was 7 days. The communication from the sales guy (Thy) was super. There is a time difference as they are based in the UK and manufacture out of Thailand, however when I sent an email I had a reply the very next morning.

The bumpers normally come like stock 240 bumpers with the rubbers installed and with the front license plate bracket, however I requested no rubbers, no holes, and no brackets. This was no problem and they indicated that they do custom request all the time.

Anyway, I was very pleased with the bumpers. I've tested fitted them quickly and they will work perfectly. They are down in the basement now awaiting the completion of my bodywork, so I figured I would post up my review and pics of the bumpers. The light down there is pretty low so the pics arent the greatest, but they turned out great and the quality is good. They are very straight, no waves, and polished to a mirror finish.

post-19498-14150821389513_thumb.jpg

post-19498-14150821390034_thumb.jpg

I would be interested in correct chrome bumpers. Front and rear.

Why not just buy a good set of used bumpers and have them rechromed or Show Chromed? That way they would be "correct" and not reproductions? Are the repro's really that much less expensive?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Why not just buy a good set of used bumpers and have them rechromed or Show Chromed? That way they would be "correct" and not reproductions? Are the repro's really that much less expensive?

FWIW,

Carl B.

While this is what I had done, I think at least domestically here in the U.S. the EPA has made the regulations such that the process has gotten too expensive to survive. I got a really good deal but I was having a conversation with a patient just before a procedure and I asked what he did, "Plating shop" he said, "Oh, we have to talk... when you wake up." 8)

I had the bumpers on my '73 rechromed locally here in Vancouver, BC. The was no rust and very little was required in terms of bending, etc...this covered the over rider bars and everything else to the tune of $1,800 and I still had to paint the back side to protect...I know there are places in the States like Denver Bumper who will do this work for a lot less money but I wanted to be able to deal locally in case something went sideways. It is true that the process has escalated incredibly over the years...but I'm very pleased with the results.

This is all great info and thank you for pics info regarding the SS bumpers. There is a chrome shop here in Austin that is said to have the tooling to straighten Z bumpers. Mine are black, straight, and just a little rust has formed where the paint was chipped off. The chrome shop holds bankers hours so it has been impossible to take my bumpers down there. Finding good ready to mount bumpers is getting next to impossible and the SS bumpers do make for a very nice option. If I could get a set made with new bumperettes and associated rubber strips. Since the company already makes bumpers I am going to inquiry about making some out of regular steel and seeing what connections they have to get them chrome plated or take them and have the plated here. I have seen stainless up close and it is very nice when its all polished out. However in my opinion nothing beats the look of chrome and that is what I really want.

Hardway,

I went through a similar exercise during the summer when I wanted to get the bumpers on my 74 1/2 260Z chromed and looked high and low in Austin to find a solid, reputable shop. The only one that I could locate was called Cen-Tex Plating and when I did a google on them, the reviews were mediocre at best. I was told their prices were reasonable but not to expect show quality chrome or longevity of the plating. Based on that I decided to look elsewhere and found a fabulous shop in Houston called Speed Sport Chrome (on Broadway in Houston if I remember correctly). They had a recommendation from Jay Leno on their site so I decided to give them a call and after talking to them directly, decided to also give them a try.

I have the large early 280 bumpers on my model and went to heaven and back looking for the rubber bumper ends and center fillers and finally found NOS parts from a combination of Oliver at Z Specialities in Washington as well as Norm Murphy at Zeddsaver in Canada. They were on the pricey side but nothing close to the eBay seller from Houston who wants an arm and a leg for the ones that he carries. In any case after finding the new rubber pieces I definitely wanted a first class job on the rechrome and so that is wh atprompted me to look beyond the one shop that I had located here in Austin. Also, I was not able to source the rubber bumper pieces that bolted to each of the metal bumnpers themselves and so I decided to have the holes filled in and chromed over and the Houston shop had no issue with doing this for me.

The job that Speed Sport Chrome did was nothing short of spectacular AND they guarantee them for life. If for any reason the chrome does not hold up I can bring them back to them at any time and they will re-chrome them for me for free. The person that I worked with there was named Kevin and he was great. Very helpful and straight forward. Apparently most of their business is done through the mail and he showed my numerous bumpers and other pieces that they had done and they all looked spectacular. I would highly recommend them if chroming your old bumpers is what you need to have done. They are also capable of taking out all of the dings and dents as well. I've attached a few pictures here so you can get an idea of the quality of their work, but frankly the pictures do not do the final job justice. I know that you are in Austin so I would welcome you to stop by to see my car first hand if you want to see the quality of their work.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

post-19584-14150821399334_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821393903_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821394639_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821395242_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821395798_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821396339_thumb.jpg

post-19584-1415082139695_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821397596_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821398234_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150821398785_thumb.jpg