IGNORED

Mirrors

bpilati

IMO/FWIW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the Talbot bullet style or the late 70t's Mini Cooper side mirrors are a good alternative, good looks and are period touches. I have seen plenty of old style generic American side mirrors to create a match pair and to me they look crappy :sick:

DOn't wait on me-I made the opposite stalk in 2004-and sat on the project when the production cost was too high for 100 mirrors...

I finally found a mate for a single Japanese mirror(somewhat similar to the Talbots-I have a set of those for my Alpha 1 GTO Rebody-I had been hunting years for, and had both chromed-they were originally painted body color-I have yet to polish out the stainless, finish off the trim ring, and reassemble, but they have an articulating stalk, and a seriously adjustable mirror head, and will work as fender or door mirrors.

post-4106-1415082000091_thumb.jpg

Carl,

I played with the electronic mirrors on the 240Z and the vert, but think it is too much of a culture shock to do away with door mirrors altogether-I originally tried it with the Wink rearview racing mirrors back in the day, and it was just too much of a change to the exterior for me. I looked at it again with an Allview in the vert-same issue.

Edited by hls30.com

$175.00 for a Right Side Outside Rear View Glass Mirror???

Many of us have switched to "electronic ignition"... time to switch to electronic rear view as well.

With the availability of very small wide angle digital cameras and small high resolution digital displays - - - -we could easily mount side and rear view cameras that wouldn't even be noticed - with the display replacing the original inside rear view mirror.

A digital camera with a powerful ZOOM could look back the road behind for half a mile - and spot most of the "unmarked" patrol cars.

I'm just saying.....

FWIW,

Carl B.

Why, you'll be excommunicated for this!! :laugh:

DOn't wait on me-I made the opposite stalk in 2004-and sat on the project when the production cost was too high for 100 mirrors...

I finally found a mate for a single Japanese mirror(somewhat similar to the Talbots-I have a set of those for my Alpha 1 GTO Rebody-I had been hunting years for, and had both chromed-they were originally painted body color-I have yet to polish out the stainless, finish off the trim ring, and reassemble, but they have an articulating stalk, and a seriously adjustable mirror head, and will work as fender or door mirrors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55633[/ATTACH]

Carl,

I played with the electronic mirrors on the 240Z and the vert, but think it is too much of a culture shock to do away with door mirrors altogether-I originally tried it with the Wink rearview racing mirrors back in the day, and it was just too much of a change to the exterior for me. I looked at it again with an Allview in the vert-same issue.

That's a 57 Chevy mirror, isn't it? ;)

That's a 57 Chevy mirror, isn't it? ;)[/quote

Do'oh! Have you caught the Stinkeyewink? It is a strain of Zitus requiring Chevy parts to be grafted into a Z...must be something left over from the Licensing the production of the first Datsun in the 30s....

Carefull with the excommunication talk...Carl hasn't used the F-word in a loong time, and though I am sure the mirror I pictured is not "Factory", and I am sure that using a digital camera for a side mirror is not factory, I am sure Carl could come up with a good many things that are....Factory.

Relevant, as I'm lookin at these mirrors as well, and.. well basically, I have a '73 240, restored about 7 years ago by one of the POs, and its mirrors he put on it are kind of awful, not so much in looks, but in reflective ability, particularly the drivers side. They seem cheap, and like the actual reflective bit is some kind of foil or something rather than a real mirror. Judging by the right one, they used to be decent, but they're small and again, the drivers side is kind of messed up, almost foggy looking.

post-27888-14150820017313_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if the pair listed on that link is a good buy, or what would be the best mirrors to get?

I like the period items better than the molded plastic ones, so chrome/steel ones are what I'm kind of going for.

Original Drivers side can be had for around $90 shipped any day of the week, real Talbot mirror go for between $200 and $400 a side depending on what model, a good quality Reproduction goes for between $50 (GT400)and $100 (GT700)a side-I have the GT400 for my 250GTO rebody.

I think Choosing Side mirrors should be based on the look you want in your car-OEM always looks great on a mostly original car-so do may all chrome mirrors, baby turbos ($20-$30 each) look good on a car with updated wheels and aero bolt ons.

post-4106-14150820017869_thumb.jpg

Edited by hls30.com

• 1 month later...
Original Drivers side can be had for around $90 shipped any day of the week, real Talbot mirror go for between $200 and $400 a side depending on what model, a good quality Reproduction goes for between $50 (GT400)and $100 (GT700)a side-I have the GT400 for my 250GTO rebody.

I think Choosing Side mirrors should be based on the look you want in your car-OEM always looks great on a mostly original car-so do may all chrome mirrors, baby turbos ($20-$30 each) look good on a car with updated wheels and aero bolt ons.

I'm definitely leaning towards OEM, I just don't know if I'm sold on these based off some of the comments in this thread. Any more opinions on these mirrors?

http://www.datsunparts.com/2323

The datsun parts site described above and re-linked here, shows him selling the pair for $214.00. This means that if you need both, the cost of the right hand side is $34.00 more than the standard driver's side from Courtesy, but I believe that is for a flat passenger's side mirror. I stopped in on him a few weeks back to buy some roadster parts and actually met the guy that is working on the tooling for the mirrors. He explained some of the challenges he is having-especially since the convex mirrors are slightly thinner than the flat ones-for knurling the edge over, and he is supposed to be coming in with the final prototype version. At any rate, when compared to some of the ones on ebay that look nothing like OEM, this seems like a pretty decent alternative if they are able to produce them.

http://www.datsunparts.com/Mirrors

Scroll down to part no. 2323.

Edited by tlorber