IGNORED

My Datsun Spirit L28 Build.

yes, I am using a stock 240Z clutch with the stock 240Z fork, stock 240Z collar and throwout bearing, with the stock 240Z slave (adjustable rod and all). The clutch actuates beautifully with no binding and seems to be disengaging fine as when I decouple the transmission from the engine while in what I think is neutral the driveshaft spins freely. How well it works with the car running will have to wait. I talked with MSA over the phone and read many posts on this board to make sure matched up all the clutch hardware.

Sounds right, the other way to reset the shift fork rods is by removing the plate that you show in the photos above. The ends of the rod move in and out as you switch gears. If I remember correctly there are three positions for two of the rods (1,N,2 and 3,N,4) and 2 positions for the third (N,R). You should be able to change the position of the rods very easily by simply pushing on the end. However, if one of the rods is too far in the "pushed" position then I'm not sure if there will be enough rod end showing to "pull" the fork forward. If this is the case then you may have to take off the tail section to get to the other end of the rod as shown in my photos above.

I've never tried it from the bell housing end but Scott's the expert so it will likely work. As long as you can get shift rods into an orientation that will allow the end of the shifter linkage to get into the little metal "U"'s in the photos above then you should be good to go. However, upon thinking about it, if you can get the shifter linkage to where it needs to be by simply actuating the rods then I don't understand what stops the linkage from disengaging as you move the shifter to its limits during normal use. When I reset my linkage I had to rotate the tail section to get the linkage and rods to line up. Again, Scott is the expert so there likely something that I am not seeing. Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

The shift rods have check balls that are supposed to lock-out the other shift rods and prevent the trans from going into more than one gear at at time. If one of the shift rods moved during transit as was suggested you should not be able to select another gear.

And there was much swearing...

followed by much condemnation of peoples mothers I had never met...

But I finally got the transmission out. I removed the cover with 5 bolts. There were three visible pushrod ends visible. One was sticking out. Before I moved any of rods, I moved the transmission into first and second and one of the rods that was flush with the bell housing was moving back and forth. AHA. They all must have to do that. I pushed the rod that was sticking out back in to flush, and the one in the middle in a notch.

Low and behold, the tail shaft spins, the car shifts into 1,2,3,4, and reverse.

The Lord said let there be gears...and there were 4, and they were good.

Well I took a victory lap, but that proved to be too early and premature.

I tried to get the transmission back in the car with the engine still in it. Let me be perfectly clear on this.

trying to align that transmission back onto the splines of the clutch disk is nothing short of a bitch with that engine still in the car. Could be the car was not jacked up enough, could be I had the engine at just the wrong angle, but it could be that it is just a B$##H. I finally gave up even after trying the head bolts to line things up. I pulled the freaking engine again. Once I had the engine on the stand and the transmission on the trans dolly, it was again a piece of cake.

I must admit I lost my cool trying to get this thing back together. I cussed more than a New Jersey Italian Prisoner. Finally I had just stop and take a break before tools started to get airborne! HAHA, but it is together.

Watch out- I think that's what starting my bulging disc in my neck. That's why the last time I pulled the motor and left the tranny in why repairing my rear main seal.

You really have to jack the car up high and then it's a lot of grunting while on your back.

Good job cursing your way thru it!!

I totally feel your pain and frustration! Last time I pulled the motor out of my car I left the tranny in, lets just say I will never do that again! If the motor comes out the tranny is going with it!

Amazing work by the way! try and get some video footage if possible of that new beast taking its first breath!