IGNORED

My Datsun Spirit L28 Build.

Nothing crazy fun to report. I have just been cleaning parts, and getting ready for some painting. I have been moving parts from one engine to the next as I get them cleaned. I will have to have some kind of sale on engine parts soon. I just cannot store all these different parts.

Well I never used my HF leveler. I used the Torin leveler that came with my 2 ton hoist.

I have 9 foot ceilings in my garage. My advice is this. Keep the chains from the leveler to the engine mounting points short. Also, get chains that are far stronger than you need. If the engine is under extreme angles, I had situations where one single chain was holding up the engine AND tranny, so the extra margin was welcome.

In anticipation of needing to enlarge the hole for the Type B tranny, I ordered a new 72Z inner shifter boot. Well I had no idea I needed to order a trim ring to hold it down. Does anybody have an extra one of these. I may have to contact Z car source.

Also, I got my new reverse sensor in, but I am puzzled where to hook it up.

7481516492_479f845243_b.jpg

You can see two places a sensor could go (in the new Type B in the back ground), but which one would it be. I know on later Z cars, there was a sensor in place to pull timing in the higher gears, so one of those holes must be for that, but which one is for the reverse lights?

Steve,

I am in the process of refreshing my transmission and have looked into the replacement switches needed for this as well as location.

I have the FW471B transmission with I believe is the same as your B version.

There are locations for 2 switches on this. One is very near the shift lever and is referred to as a "neutral switch". According to my local Z mechanic, this was used as a safety lockout for the emergency start circuit to ensure the car would not start if it was in gear. The neutral switch has spade style connectors and the most recent Nissan part number is 32006-K2004. I just purchased one from Courtesy so they are still available.

The second switch is for the reverse light circuit and is located near the fill hole as was stated earlier. It has bullet style connectors rather than the spade style for the neutral switch. The Nissan part number for this one is 32005-K102A and it is also available from Courtesy.

I have included a couple of pictures of these switches and locations for your reference. I also included one addtional picture which shows my transmission after the refresh process. I am very happy with how it came out and will certainly be a lot more pleasant to work on now that 40 years worth of grime and grease have been removed.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

post-19584-14150819462009_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150819460643_thumb.jpg

post-19584-14150819461323_thumb.jpg