IGNORED

260z performance improvements

mdec

Ok I am aware of the popular L28/L28ET swop, but if I want to keep the orig L26 engine is there any proven ways (not to cost prohibitive) that can noticeably increase performance (say hp & torque up by +20% ?). Only mod I have made so far are early 240z carb's..Are stroker build for L26's available/worthwhile ?

Apprecaite your thoughts.

You need to set a budget. 20% is a significant increase, requiring head work (cam, valves & porting), a high flowing exhaust (2-1/2" piping) and some boring of the cylinders.

Unfortunately there aren't many (any?) bolt-ons that will release magic horsepower. With the L-series engines it all comes down to cubic dollars.

$3K ???

First option is to buy an engine that someone else has spent $6K+ on - when they feel the need to move up again. Lots of guys have really great L series engines - for sale - when they decide to go with a SBC.

Here is a real deal - if it isn't already gone. You would have to buy a new ECU..

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/107061-rb20det-s30-swap/page__view__findpost__p__1001801

Edit .. Oops...didn't read far enough... It was sold!! Nonetheless, wait and deals like this come up...

Second option would be to check with Rebello - and see how much he would charge to rebuild your L26 in a mild street mod set up... might be a bit over your $3K - but you would be very happy with the results... It is a case of spend more up front - and be happy vs spending less up front and then spending more and more as you try to fix problems...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

might be over 3000 dollars. HAHAAH

I promise you it will be, that is if Dave does not try to talk you into a 3.0 rebello for 9000 dollars.

I only say that as in the three times I called him to rebuild my stock L24, he had tried to talk me into a 9000 dollar rebello stroker all three times.

I do not totally blame him, as that is his ace in the hole. But the pressure sales pitch turned me off. NO doubt he builds wonderful motors that would run for years!!!!! And for the record Dave was very friendly the whole time. Easy to talk to, but he is quite the salesman! LOL

I would say give Eiji a call at Datsun spirit, and just talk to him. Not one time over the phone or via email did he ever try to upsell me one time. And his work is mind bendingly thorough. He will create a photo bucket account for your build. Mine has 167 photos in it right now. I am quite simply blown away.

However, should you try to rebuild it on your own, that is certainly a great idea as well...just read as many books as you can.

remember, knowledge = HP, money is just a catalyst.

Blues budget breakdown is really pretty darn close to reality. The HP is in the head. And that is where you money should be spent.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread,but i'm at the point where i need some more horses.I don't want a big block, I have a few ideas,so I will start.

1. Replace the timing chain.

2. Replace the 74 e-88 head with a 72 E-88.

3. Rebuild SU carbs or send them to Z therapy.

4 Purchase a stage II cam.

5 Purchase a header and 2.5" exhaust.

6 Add 5 speed trans and 3.9 diff.

Any ideas would be helpful.