IGNORED

What is the easiest way to depressurize the fuel system?

Healeyalt

I'm in the gathering stage for parts and info on changing my fuel injectors and connectors.

I see the following info from the Atlantic Z club regarding depressuring the system

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuellinedepressure/index.html

I have two questions with regards to this; does the polarity matter on the cold start valve?

And do I need to take the cold start valve off the intake manifold or can I leave it in place and just expell the gas into the manifold? Of course this would kind of flood it and may be wash gas past the rings and into the crank. But I'd rather not have to scrape gasket off and reseal the cold start valve again if I don't have to.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

I found the easiest way to simply remove the connector from the Cold Start Valve and apply 12 volts to it via test leads from the battery. Activate it three or four times and you are done. Don't forget to reconnect the Cold Start Valve connector when you are done.

So to answer your questions:

1: No the polarity will not matter.

2: No you do not have to remove the Cold Start Valve. Fuel purged into the intake from the above method will not be a problem. It will only be an ounce or so.

IMO, the very easiest way is to pull off the hose between the fuel filter and fuel rail. Hold a rag around the hose as you pull it off. The rag will catch the spurt of fuel (about one tablespoon of it, give or take). Then throw the rag on your driveway to evaporate.

Edited by FastWoman

• 2 weeks later...

Take it from an old fart. Keep a far stankwasher within 20 feet if you KNOW you're going to spray liquid fuel.

I saw a guy drop a trouble light in the process of dropping a fuel tank once, vehicle on the rack, puddle of fuel on the floor. Bulb broke and ...ka-WHOOSH! Every fire extinguisher in the shop got completely drained and we BARELY kept the shop from burning down.

Incandescent trouble lights were banned from the shop that day. LED only.

It took a reread to understand "far stankwasher". Anyhow I think it is mandatory to have one. I pulled a stupid about 8 years ago while working on the fuel system of a dodge truck. I got quite a bit of overspray disconnecting an injector. I put everything back together fired up the engine (no pun), and needed to run for the fire extinguisher. I was lucky in that nothing was badly damaged and no one was hurt.

• 2 weeks later...