IGNORED

Newb to Z's. 280 value question.

Hello all. I'm new to the vintage Z scene and now I'm hooked. I've been through various "transportation" phases including watercooled VW's, the custom Harley scene and mildly modding my Nissan Titan. I was searching for a project (thought I wanted a Corvette, yikes!) when I stumbled upon a Jalopnik tunnel video of a 240Z. Oh the sound! I researched a bit further and damn if the early Z cars aren't as timeless as any vintage Ferrari, Porsche or Euro exotic made.

So I gotta have one! Anyway I found a 77 280Z about 20 miles away. New paint within a year (correct paint code white) as well as exhaust and brakes. Seller claims it's rust free and he used it and continues to use it as a daily driver. Has AC, but needs a recharge and no dash cracks. I've been negotiating via email for a few days and he's pretty firm on his asking price of $4200. Without pics or having seen the car anyone have thoughts on this asking price? I'd love to have this car but would also like to save a few bucks. I'm not afraid of a car that needs some work so I could continue to look. I'm a custom metal worker by trade and own a large shop with just any tool you'd need.

Thanks and look forward to having lots of Z related questions and new stories.

The interior is the hardest part to get nice on these cars without spending a lot of money. Motor pieces are available and you'll have lots of options, but for that price I would want a good clean rust free (meaning no long-term leaks in the past) interior. If you have pictures, post them.

I agree, a 280Z is a great car with many fans. Look at it and look at it again. Be diligent. A daily driver Z with no rust sounds a bit like a magical car. Check the usual places.

Under the battery, both dog legs, open the hatch and look at the sill plate. Pick up the carpet on both sides and look at the floors. Examine the door rubber and hoses and belts. Concentrate on the engine rubber bits. If they are in good kit, then they probably have taken a fairly reasonable care of the car. Also, look for wiring bundles that have been 'violated'. A 280Z has many wires that you can spend hours tracking down. THE good news is their are enough online resources here and in other places online that you can trouble shoot almost anything on a fuel injected Z. THe bad news is it can be a laborious task.

Are you handy with a wrench, vacuum gage, voltmeter? If so, then go get us some pics of that car and let us SEE!!! :)

I have not driven it yet. I've been crazy busy at work preparing for a show in NY and have had no time for anything really. I'll email him again today and see if I can get pics. He had it listed on Craigslist but pulled the listing after I made an offer of $3500. I guess he was insulted. Interior is also complete down to the original radio. I'll update as I get info. Problem is I now have an emotional bound with a car I've never driven! Where's the whiskey!?

$4200 for a solid true "turn key" ready to enjoy 280z is a deal. Is it a 4spd or 5psd, a '77 could be either or. I sold a rusty '77 280z a few months ago for $3200. It ran like a champ, the interior was nice as the PO had already spent some money on it but it needed well over $3K in paint and body to make it right. You just need to find some time to go drive it, snap a few pics, and report your findings. There are still a lot of 280z's out there so if this is not "the one" another will come along.

I don't negotiate a purchase, site unseen. I'd go and look at the car first and then talk price, but of course it's too late for that. Second of all, new paint always throws a red flag for me. This means that any rust or damage that could have been present is now carefully hidden from view. Thus, a car with fresh paint warrants an even closer inspection. This involves checking the body over with weak magnets, poking and prodding underneath the car, etc.

It can be hard for some, but you must emotionally detach yourself until you've secured a purchase. Physically go and take a look at many different cars before making a purchase, don't fixate on the first one. Good luck.

post-27075-14150818867503_thumb.png

So I found another. 1978 with 118,XXX. Same owner for the last 30 years. No mods, no accidents, clean title and I'm digging that blue. I'm heading out of town for 6 days. Bummed. I'll go look at it when I get back and report my findings. They are asking $5500.

post-27075-1415081886648_thumb.png

post-27075-14150818867047_thumb.png