IGNORED

getting more HP in 78 280z

If you want to increase acceleration from a stop:

Reduce Weight (gut everything)

Grip (wide soft sticky tires)

Inertia for launch (hefty flywheel)

Mechanical advantage are rear wheel (differential ratio)

More power from motor (headwork or or over-boring or swapping )

Exhaust or throttle body won't do it.

Stock S30's were never meant for (or good at) stop-light heroics. It's a sports car; balance and feedback. If you're looking for a dragster, I might suggest an F-body or Mustang.

To make your S30 a good dragster, it will no longer possess the desirable qualities it was designed to have.

"Circle gets a square" I have listened to all the dbags over at hybrid Z to know this is an accurate statement. I am in your boat. I said to hell with it and bought a 1983 Turbo Parts car. I am swapping in a turbo motor, it is getting rebuilt right now. For about another grand you can get 250 RWHP out of the turbo engine. That is basically double over stock.

Will the stock EFI will handle any significant increase in HP? I thought that if you start putting go-fast parts on the early FI cars you had to go with an aftermarket system like Megasquirt.

I come from a family where MX-5s are heralded as the greatest sports cars ever. Im just hoping that i can get similar acceleration to keep up with them

I road race against a Miata in ITS. The Miata handles a little better but the Z is faster/quicker. The top-3 finishers a couple weeks ago were:

1. 240Z

2. 300ZX

3. Miata

Chuck

Any mods or stock?

We're in the same class - ITS (Improved Touring Stock). Everything is stock except K&N cone filter, ZX distributor w/little ignition box, header, 3" exhaust, coil overs, adj shocks, adj camber kit, Carbotech pads/shoes, all urethane bushings, bigger front sway bar, full cage, better/lighter gauges, 15gal fuel cell, 15x7 wheels and DOT slicks. I've removed almost everything that is allowed to be removed. The car is loud, stiff and fast.

I raced the car in an auto-x last weekend using the road race setup rather than an auto-x setup. I won my class (B Street Prepared) and beat all the Miatas, S2000s, a 2004 M3, most of the Vettes, etc.

http://www.nationalroadrally.com/pdf/2012/5_6_12_sun_fin.pdf

Chuck