IGNORED

Conversion to EFI from Carb

Mike

Thanks guys, are there websites for the aftermarket systems you recommended?

Here's a link to a supplier of one of the more popular systems - http://www.diyautotune.com/

The product descriptions are kind of disjointed and hard to figure out though.

Here's a link to another forum's sub-forum, focused on EMS - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/forum/63-ems/

Mike, I have the advantage of having seen your car in person. And while I understand the desire to have something that is cleaner running than the triples, I don't think that any EFI that uses the stock 280Z/ZX manifold and plumbing is going to look good under your hood. Another concern would be that I can't remember which head casting you have on the car now. If it wasn't an injected head originally, it may lack the port notches needed to use the stock injection manifold/injectors.

Alternatives, then? Well, assuming that you are convinced there's no way to tune the triples to run decently (and by the way, I can't recall what carbs you have, Webers? Mikunis?), one of my first choices for your car—both for tunability and looks—would be to beg Steve to build you a triple SU set up. I think your car had one of those setups on it when it was first completed, no?

Or if you decide to tackle an EFI conversion, don't limit yourself to the stock manifold. Talk with Bryan (zccjdm.com) about some of the injection kits he can order. He has a custom 6 individual throttle body kit, an OER kit that looks like triples (3 dual-venturi throttle bodies on a triple-carb manifold), and even a kit to put a pair of big throttle bodies on a stock SU manifold. Good looking stuff. You'd still need to use a Megasquirt to run it, but Bryan may have some experience with that, too. And since he's close by (Redmond)....

Edited by Arne

Did you do version 2? Just go with a map sensor, or a wideband as well?

Cozye,

I run MS I with a MAP sensor and the wideband. It makes tuning a lot easier when you know what your engine is actually doing.

rcb280z.

I had a friend of mine build me the box (MS) and help me with the wiring. All you need is the wiring harness and the injector module (er, the large fuse like thing near the clutch master, big silver thing). I'm not sure what laws California has but its sad you can't use it. IMHO its far more efficient then the 70's system will ever be.

Mike if your dead set on getting injection there are a lot of alternatives, MS is just one. As Arne has said there are a few others. As I stated, the only problem with MS that a lot of people have is they build the system and then get stuck on the tuning. Like everything else its easy if you know what you're doing or have done your homework on what needs to be done.

On side note, I took a trip today to solve a bit of a family issue. Drove a total of 260 miles averaging roughly 80mph. From what my odometer tells me I averaged about 23 mpg. My tune isn't really set for "efficiency" but that's not to bad is it?

If you guys need anymore info let me know I'll happily help.

Jan

Edited by Pomorza