IGNORED

Need some opinions

mjr45

I have 2 L28 engines, both are dead, one has a blown #4(zero compression) one has a sized #6 a mouse family moved in when it was stored by the PO, and need a complete rebuild. I need opinions on whether to keep the EFI (I hate the electrical crap involved) or switch to carbs. I'm thinking a N36 intake and stock SU's. Any opions will be appreciated. Thanks.

If you car is a 280z with all of the FI components I would say keep the EFI. When it is functioning correctly it is very reliable, But since you hate EFI.... well it is you're car.

Really if you break it down the electrical part of the EFI system becomes very simple ( I had a harder time getting my SU's to work right on my old 260, but they were flat tops and I was a 20 something kid back then :stupid:).

Edited by grantf

I'm more comfortable with tuning carbs, but that being said I know EFI is much more reliable when done correctly and requires far less tuning and tune ups. Just bought an 83 ZX engine and 5 speed to drop into my 75, not a rebuild but still came with a 1 year warranty, I'll put on my N42 intake with EFI since it will be a while to save some pennies to change to carbs if I decide to do that. Thanks for all the input. Now what to do with the old engines? Hmmm maybe a 3.1 stroker out of one of them.

Eh, depends on the carb. Properly set, SUs are very reliable and predictable.

IMO, synching carbs is part of the tuning ritual associated with these old cars anyway. I mean, you have to set the valve clearances and check the timing anyway, why not pay the carbs a visit as well? Old Zs are heaven-sent for "tinkering."

Eh, depends on the carb. Properly set, SUs are very reliable and predictable.

IMO, synching carbs is part of the tuning ritual associated with these old cars anyway. I mean, you have to set the valve clearances and check the timing anyway, why not pay the carbs a visit as well? Old Zs are heaven-sent for "tinkering."

EH! I must have my SUs set correctly then. Plenty of grunt and 25MPG. Runs sweet. Why tinker?

OK I've got a line on a set of SU's with an E88 intake and cleaned up balance tube, spendy but it might be worth it. Question is do you have to change the fuel and fuel return lines and do you hook up the water line to the manifold or just plug it off and hope for the best?