IGNORED

Performance Mods that will not decrease the value of my Z & muffler

jccampbe2001

Thank you all for the helpful comments. Man you guys are a bit cruel on this site. Well I started working on cars and have taken this up as a hobby about 2 months ago... so I am learning everything about a car and how the engine works and what the parts are named etc etc etc. This would not be a car that we would ever sell, so I guess it does not matter what it would ever sell for, that would be my wifes concern. I just want speed and fun!! Thanks again for the replies

I don't think anyone here intends to be cruel. Keep in mind that we own these car as well. The reality is that Z's are not worth a heck of a lot even to us here-maybe some day, but just not now. The good part is that we can enjoy fun cars at a relatively low budget. Compare parts prices to those of 911's and you'll see that acquisition cost is only one part of the equation.

That being said, you should modify the car to suit your tastes, and not those of some prospective buyer years down the road.

No, not meaning to be cruel! :( However, I don't think you got an official welcome.

WELCOME to the community! :)

You can collect your Welcome Wagon gift at www.xenons30.com. There's a free download of the '76 Datsun 280Z Factory Service Manual waiting there for you. (The truth: It's always there for anyone, but consider it your "welcome gift.") This is the single most important source of information you can find on your car. Parts of it are also somewhat of an interesting read, in a car-geeky sort of way.

Edited by FastWoman

We're not cruel at all. We're just a dose of reality in an automotive world filled with fantasies.

Well said John,

To continue along down reality road, let me add some insight.

What I'm gathering is that you have a 36 year old 280Z that in it's life has had 2 brake lines replaced and then from an originality standpoint nothing else?

The typical approach of most here who drag an old car home to have as a toy would include freshening up most if not all of the mechanical systems on the vehicle to preclude any one of the 36 year old somethings from going TU leaving you standing beside the road. If I owned a 36 year old "original anything I wouldn't drive it out of my neighborhood.

We're talking belts, hoses, hydraulics (brake and clutch), brake and clutch hard parts, wheel bearing clean and pack, cooling system, suspension parts are old hard and sloppy more than likely...... You get my point.

Your Z is an old car, original maybe, but still old. Til you get to the point where you personally know the state of every system on the rig is, you are taking a chance driving that 36 year old car farther than you are willing to push it.... Now that is reality.

Oh, and the above list is just a small piece of the puzzle and not supposed to be all inclusive......

Chris -

Welcome to the site - don't worry about hurting the value - instead - make the car what you want it to be! Cars are meant to be driven. If you want some more horsepower just do it. If you want a spoiler or something do that as well. IMO the main thing to do is to keep it era correct so it looks like it should have looked in the '70's. The main thing is to make sure it is dependable, and a great weekend cruiser! Get some pics up when you get a chance so we can all see what you have! Enjoy the ride!!

Pics? For what it's worth I've done a mild restoration on a very solid 280. Just had it appraised for insurance purposes. The appraiser put it at $20k, which I thought was high but it's fine with me. It was a well documented appraisal based on collector car auctions, ebay, other references etc.. Other cars referenced were in the 6-14k range but not in as nice of shape as my car. The insurance company disagreed and is only willing to insure the car for $15k (which is what I'd like to have it insured at anyway). I've got about 15k in it and have done most of the work myself.

All that being said, do I think I could sell it for $15k ? No, I don't. 10k maybe.. Do I think I could buy one just like it for $15k ? Probably not. Unfortunately the 280s are in a weird place. There aren't a lot of really nice 280s available, and most z car guys would rather have a 240. Supply is low, but demand is low as well. Even a really really nice 240 rarely sells above 15k.

Now if an old lady in a caddy tbones my 280, is 15k going to be enough to keep it from hurting my feelings? Probably not.

Bottom line is that the car is worth the most to the owner. Hopefully you can "document" it's value to help protect yourself, but in reality the z cars in general are not going to sell for a large amount. This is both good and bad. Bad if you are a seller, great if you are a buyer. The saving grace is that I think you can insure the cars for a very fair amount as long as you have it professionally appraised. I certainly don't want to be fighting about the cars worth with another drivers ****ty insurance company after the fact

I have a 76 and it appraised for insurance purposes at $18,500. I am the original owner and it is all original except for the obvious added items that are period correct. I don't know if it has hurt or helped the value. It's my car and it's the way I made it and I like it that way, so fix yours the way you want it and keep it clean.