IGNORED

Performance Mods that will not decrease the value of my Z & muffler

jccampbe2001

I have a 1976 280z in very good condition. I want to maintain its value. Here is the question. What Performance Modifications can I do if any and still maintain the value of the Z?

2nd

Found that the line to the muffler had rusted through. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Keep in mind I want to maintain or increase the value of the car and not diminish it in any way.

Okay, Someone has to jump in here so it may as well be me. So no one has responded and I think I know why.

You have a 76 280Z and everyone is thinking exactly how much do you think a 76 280 will ever be worth? It was probably worth more yesterday than it was today. So my recomendation to you is quit worrying about the big payout that, on this car, isn't going to happen ever and build it for your self and go have some fun.....

I'm waiting 24 hours to see what if any kind of a fire storm this starts.....

Oh, and drink the good stuff first.....

Here is the reason behind my question. This is my Wife's car and it currently is worth 19K and she will not allow me to do anything to it that may decrease the value of it. When I say it is in good shape, everything on it except maybe a couple of brake lines are all the original parts interior and exterior.

Just ask your insurance xcompany what they would give you for it. I.E., the Bluebook value is only about $3000. :(

FWIW,

You're probably doing the best thing you can do. You're fortunate enough already that you live in a temperate area, without salt on the streets in the winter, and you probably have a shady, dry spot for the car.

Eventually, parts for it will be no longer available at any cost, so you will need to substitute something.

Edited by TomoHawk

And now to answer the question...

Simple performance suspension mods will generally not decrease the value of a 280Z:

Shocks

Springs

Urethane bushings in a few key area

Anti-roll bars

A +1 upgrade for the wheels and tires generally doesn't have a negative affect on the value of a 280Z. Upgrading the ignition, adding a mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust system, installing a K&N air filter in the stock air box are generally OK to do from a value perspective.

OK, more realistic -- If the car is a daily driver in fairly perfect condition, it may be worth in the low teens -- maybe up to $14k. If it's in very nice, but not perfect condition, it might be worth $6-8k. Rough condition could be anything from $500 to $1500, depending on the part of the country. So there's quite a range of values in these cars.

Rusted exhaust: You're not going to find the OEM exhaust components, so you're going to have to retrofit some sort of aftermarket (and therefore performance) exhaust. I used MotorSport Auto's aluminized premium exhaust with a Magnaflow 4" muffler inserted at mid-pipe. It's a fairly tame, well-behaved configuration of exhaust that I feel comfortable recommending.

Other performance mods: Hey, do whatever you like, as others have said. Enjoy the car. If you are worried about preservation of value, then focus on non-destructive mods. For instance, if you cut a hole in the hood and put a big air-inductance scoop there, someone would have to replace the hood to put it back to its OEM state. That would be a destructive mod. Different wheels/tires are another matter, as they can be put back to OEM by pulling the aftermarket and mounting up the originals.

When asking what mods are destructive vs. nondestructive, you have to ask yourself what sort of effort would be required to restore the car to its OEM state. There seems to be a bifurcation point that determines the trajectory of the car. If it's OEM down the line, then maybe it can be kept that way. A frame-up restored, 100% original car that is never driven (always trailered), with factory tags, etc., can be quite valuable, at least for a historic year (like an early VIN 1970 240Z). Others of us have mildly modified cars that will never command this sort of premium, but for which the mods actually do ADD value.

Bottom line, though: Just enjoy the car, whatever that means for you and your wife. Although *I* feel it will eventually have more value, it's never going to be a Duesenberg.