IGNORED

Clackety Valvetrain

Jehannum

I've got what sounds like a click in sync with the cam.

It developed a few weeks ago on a cruise. I figured that I just had an issue I could tune out with a quick valve adjustment, so I did the "fit no-fit" method for lash adjustment (hot, .010" intake, .012" exhaust). I reassembled everything, kicked it over, and...

The click is still there.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: forgot to mention that it's a stock L24 with an E31 head.

Edited by Jehannum

Some suggestions:

Check the cam lobes carefully for wear?

Are you running a mechanical pump? If so check it's functioning and the eccentric.

Crank the starter with the valve cover off to ensure all holes on oil bar are flowing

Check all valve keepers and lash pads to ensure none are loose, missing?

It could also be a loose valve seat. Check plugs and pull one wire at a time to see if it affects the sound. You may be able to correlate it with a cylinder using these two plug checks.

Doesn't the mechanical fuel pump move in synch with the cam?

It's driven by the eccentric on the front end of the cam (bolted to the cam gear). I guess I'll check and see if the eccentric is bolted as tightly as it could be.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be looking into them tomorrow afternoon.

So, when I did my hot valve adjustment, I adjusted things in firing order, rather than when the lobes were facing straight up.

I re-did the valve adjustment that way (lobes facing straight up), and suddenly the tappety noises are gone.

Guess I should pay attention to all of the procedure, rather than assuming I know anything.