IGNORED

Spoiler or Air Dam

Hunter260Z

So how do you separate air dams from "spooks"? Lots of pieces have vents in various sizes & places. I usually think of "spoiler" as tails or wings on the rear end. Please define. Thanks.

Edited by venus

Sorry for this but just for clarification a spook is a front spoiler like an air dam but instead of completely blocking the air it lets air through? (for instance MSA Air Dam type 3?)
No, "spook" is a term for the front spoilers designed and sold by Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE). The first version of the BRE spook is shown in post #7 above. The later (far more common) version was/is available both with and without brake cooling ducts. The version w/o ducts is shown in post #10 above. And the ducted version is pictured here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=47033

post-8596-14150815752671_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arne

Oh ok so 'spook' simply refers to those specific air dams, thanks I was a little lost for a second.

Seems general consensus is that MSA's air dams are better then the BRE, and logically thinking type 2 is better then type 1 and type 3 is better then both 1 & 2 right? If MSA build them in linear order and improving upon the previous style type 3 would be the best so far. Has anyone contacted MSA about it? I would think that MSA would have done testing or at least a LOT of modeling and some testing to have made three different air dams.

Air dams are mainly built for style. It's a very safe bet that MSA didn't put their air dams in a wind tunnel until the Hybrid Z test was done. They loaned most of the aero parts to the testers, and it seems pretty obvious that they wouldn't have done so if they already had the results of the tests.

While I can't speak directly to Z dams I can rate 1st gen RX-7 dams as I've tried a few. Some definitly stabalize the car at over 100 mph. Therefore I'm thinking same type works for Zs but have no statistics.

In post #7 that is the first time,I've seen that type BRE spook. As far as going 100mph I'm not sure how stable the Z would be. But as far as 75- 80 the car is very stable at that speed. If I were going to buy a fixer,upper, I would add both spoilers. You need to drive a Z with both, then you will know what I'm taking about. Take it to 100mph you will have your answer.

Agreed, not too many folks have seen the first BRE Spook. It was used only one year and did not gain popularity. So, that makes mine a bit of an oddity, perhaps a collectors item for a few. In addition to the Spook, the dealer also installed the BRE rear spoiler, show here also rehabbed and installed as part of my resto effort. I agree completely with the mention of handling differences at anything above 90 mph - and the Spook is effective at those speeds and above.

post-22303-14150815755724_thumb.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]47044[/ATTACH]

Jim

At first I didn't want to add a rear spoiler, until I rode in a Z that had one. That changed my mind. I will agree,it doesn't matter 80 ,90, or 100mph,it seems the faster you go the better it gets. (downforce). Just don't add the rear spoiler first, the front becomes very light, float down the highway at 50mph (very unstable).

Balance is everything! Whatever you use in front and on the rear hatch should be proportional. Got a big azz wing? Then you better have a very effective front air dam that stops air from entering the engine bay and going under the car.

We ran the MSA III on our 240 race car and we blocked off all air flow and routed cooling air into the radiator via a shroud. The only thing we didn't do was add a rubber apron at the bottom of the dam to seal it off. To do so would have required us to zeus fit the airdam and we never got around to doing it.

The front stayed planted at speeds in excess of 135mph.

Now we're running the car in vintage and a modern airdam is not allowed. That gaping hole is just killing the handling compared to the Type III. I'd love to find an original BSR front "spook" or even a good copy.