IGNORED

Are Watanabe rims played out?

surfer.tech

I'd say yes, but that's just my opinion. Then again, I never particularly cared for that style wheel back in the late '70s and '80s when I was selling them new, either.

Wheels should be purchased by what makes you happy, not how many people do or don't have them. If you love 'em, get 'em. But if it's going to bother you every time you go to a show and see the same style on someone else's car, you may want to look into other options.

Hey Glenn,

I used to adore the Wats but that has changed. Price wise, they cost more than volk TE37V, SSR Professor, or Work wheels. They are also cast still, and heavier than the volks. It just seems that every Z I see has that style of wheel, and it loses its nastolgic value to me.

That said, I am looking at older SSR Formula Mesh wheels. I was just wondering if everyone feels the same about the watts.

I would say they are certainly predictable choices but in many cases, they fit the look of the car. Wheel choices are very personal and mostly we buy what like on the car. You could almost compare it to a woman choosing a purse.

I have the RB-R's but wouldn't mind another set to change it up once in a while. In general terms, the banana spoke wheels are very popular among the classic Japanese car crowd. I love the Hayashi Street rep's from Rota but many don't.

I also like that most Z cars don't look like the next one. Everybody has their taste for air dams, bumpers, wheels, colors, interior, engines, louvers, mods, etc. Even though my wheels have become popular since I've purchased them, I still like them and I feel like the rest of my mods set my car apart from the rest of the crowd.

:beer:

As Arne says, it is your taste.

I never liked the centre arms of Watanabe's and knock-offs (Rewinds) but I love the deep rim aspect of most.

I never liked the Enkei Mesh style but liked the low mass design

I never liked the slotted Mags or Centrelines.

I never liked Diamond Racing wheels but like the fact they can be customized

I love turbine style rims but hate cleaning them

I love wire wheels but do not like the performance or cleaning them

I love some newer rims like Bad Dog Parts (John Jeffrey's) tasteful performance.

baddog.jpg

I love the look of some similar new rims but not the harsh ride, pounding of suspension, and toy Hot Wheels look: Here is example of cool but too big and Hot Wheels

130_0706_02_z+1971_datsun_240z+right_side_view.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSpph4gpU_sWq49W_VjrprJ8swBa54EDHecInwEtdlAHTLV5JLIw

This one is better size: Atlantic_Nationals_2010_0112.JPG

This too (My fav 'cause so deep):

240Z.jpg

I do not like any of the stock Datsun rims.

And don't forget the cool Cherry Blossoms when you want performance packaged with Hello Kitty cuddles:

3871137603_f6a86e4c13_o.jpg

sakuraZ.jpg

Here are some photos to enjoy: http://www.google.com/search?q=240z+wheels&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=713

Edited by Blue
cherry blossom thick chocolate on the outside creamy on the inside