IGNORED

16" tire question

5150 will

I'm buying a new set of 16x7 rewinds and trying to decide on a tire. Per Arne's recommendations in searches I've done, I think I'll go with a 205-55-16. I'd like some input from you guys on a high performance summer tire. First off, my car isn't a daily so wear mileage isn't a particular concern. Neither is wet/snow traction, unless I get caught in a storm on the way to Tahoe or something but I can deal with that:). I may auto x on occasion, but the car will mostly be for around town and rippin' up the local foothill twistys. I'm kinda leaning towards the Dunlop Star Spec Sport, but reviews I've read say they are noisy....can anyone provide insight on these?

Any other recommendations? I'm open for suggestions.

I run Yoko S.drives, 205-50R/16. Pretty sticky tires. A bit heavier on steering 'cause they're wider. Aggressive tread design. I've only tracked them once, at Nashville last year, and they performed quite well.

My friends all love the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs for track and drift duty. Afraid I don't know how loud they are because their cars are loud LOL

Some like the Falken RT615 Azenis, I believe they only come in 215/45/16 and 225/50/16. I've also seen different guys running Bridgestone RE11 and RE050's but I don't know much about them. I wasn't too happy with my last set of Bridgestone's on my Honda. They got hard and noisy really quickly, and then cupped badly. I used to think it was my alignment but my buddy at the Toyota dealer said he sees it all the time on standard passenger cars. They were also heavy.

Dunlop is owned by Goodyear, and they have become sort of a second tier brand in my opinion. (based on what I read on Tire Rack's customer reviews.) Bridgestone owns Firestone, and a large portion of the Bridgestone tires sold in the U.S. are made in Firestone plants.

If you are considering the Dunlop, you may want to look at the Goodyear Eagle GT, and if you are looking at a Bridgestone tire you should look at the Firestone lineup as well, because in both cases they are the same company, at least in the U.S. Now outside of North America the story is often different.

Guys, thanks for the replies. I'm not sold on anything, just looking for some opinions on what others have used and what they like or don't.

Andy, I love the Azenis I have on my Miata and would love to put them on the Z, but they don't come in a size that'll work for me.

I typically run 225/50ZR16's from Rykon. They have a great price, sticky as hell and great for regular driving or even Spirited driving. They are damn close to the original or Correct height so your Speedo will stay true and correct.

As for Slalom Racing and Auto-X. a 40 series may be better for less sidewall bending and better stability under hard cornering.

The Rykon's are also great in the rain and not noisy at all. I would also suggest Siping them for added traction. Got an LSD?

Dave