IGNORED

Antenna Mast Plastic string replacement

ajmcforester

AJ: I measured it with the mast down. How long is the metal part from the threaded tip to the crimped end you show in your photo.

OK, from the end it is 1" to the feral, and .6" inside the feral. So I'll go 48" the extra 1.4" won't hurt anything, and it is easier to say 4 feet.

Now I went to Ace and Home Depot looked at the different line types the polycarbonate, and nylon line has about the right stiffness, they don't have the right diameter in round, in stock. I found a local dealer that sells by the foot, but won't be open till after the holiday, if he don't have it I'll order online.

Now I can't get the exact diameter either the diameter is .140" The closest you can get it .130" or .155" I'm going with the .130" In the real it gets tight at 2 points and the .155" might put to much strain on the motor, and would be harder to install to the mast. Also I regularly use a little light oil on the antenna mast and work it into the mast the .130" will help allow more oil into the guid to help keep it from gunk-ing up.

This is my first post but I got some .130 nylon line from McMaster-Carr at 37 cents a foot. It comes in 4' lengths. I heated the metal ends and pulled the old out and pushed the new line in. Now all I have to do is figure out how to put everything back together.

This is my first post but I got some .130 nylon line from McMaster-Carr at 37 cents a foot. It comes in 4' lengths. I heated the metal ends and pulled the old out and pushed the new line in. Now all I have to do is figure out how to put everything back together.

This will be great if it works for you, I'm working with a 240z antenna witch was different than a 280z. Please keep us informed about how it works with your 280z. This will help a lot of people.

BTW Welcome to the site, I hope you post pictures of your car. We like to see your car, please post pictures sometime.

FWIW-

My 280Z antenna stopped working partly because the brushes in the motor were worn out and fell out. I made new ones from alternator brushes, which I got from the NAPA store. I had to solder the brush leads to the brush holder, which IMO is a better electrical connection than the original design.

• 2 weeks later...

We Have success. Hears is what worked.

Bought Stihl round string at .130" diamerter and 75' long of it for less than $9. I cut the string (actually it melted) and burned out the old string for the antenna. Same for the little feral on the real side. Glue wasn't a good idea I burned off the mess and started again. Heat was the best tool, I heated up the end of the antenna at the conector just enough that I could push the string in, but not melt the string and when it was cool it hardened nicely. I took and clamped the part pulled hard on the string and the string broke but didn't pull out. Again burned out the string and installed again. Did the same thing with the feral on the real side. Then I drilled the hole and installed the antenna after giving the motor and parts a good restoration with new brushes and oil and a little grease. Works great

Now all I need are the parts that connect the antenna to the fender.

• 5 years later...

Well, I'm about to embark on this quest, and cannot find STihl 0.13 line in town or anywhere on line. It's part number is 0000 930 2577 but I'm beginning to think it's out of production.

Anyone buy 100' and got 96' left over? Happily pay the freight.....

15 hours ago, zKars said:

Well, I'm about to embark on this quest, and cannot find STihl 0.13 line in town or anywhere on line. It's part number is 0000 930 2577 but I'm beginning to think it's out of production.

Anyone buy 100' and got 96' left over? Happily pay the freight.....

I checked all of mine and .105" is the largest diameter I have. Your more than welcome to a few feet of it. I could get 10' in an envelope. Let me know.

Cliff