IGNORED

running SU's without spacers?

Healey Z

I picked up this project last year; 1963 Austin Healey with a Z motor. It had a custom built manifold with two 32/36 down draft webers. I wanted to go back to SU's, but my measurements were off and I have two choices. Cut into the footbox of the car, which I really want to avoid, run without spacers or go back to the webers. Running without spacers certainly isn't a preference, but wondering if this is even a possibility.

P1040334.JPG

Simple solution, I will take the Healey off your hands!LOL

Just to be clear, the engine picture above is from an original Healey.

Here is a picture of my interference problem areas. Note the 2x4 engine mounts, which shows how much I will need to raise the motor.

carb%20interf.jbp.jpg

JL, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

P1040378.JPG

IIRC there are 2 different thicknesses of the fiber spacers. The thick ones are about 15mm. I know my 73 has the thin ones, about 5mm. It appears you have the thick ones as seen in post 5. About 10mm gain there.

Bonzi Lon

Thanks for tip on the spacer. It looks like the thin one comes from a 260Z....anyone have a set they want to sell? I'm heading to the machine shop to see how much it would cost to mill the intake, like I've shown. Another thought is a wedge at the intake, although that creates other problems.

P1040380.JPG

Edited by Healey Z