IGNORED

flattop carbs rebuilt or new dgv's

yoshi_w

Hi, I was wondering what the best option would be? I currenntly have flattop carbs, but I was wondering if it really is worth getting them rebuilt by ztherapy. Otherwise the next cheapest solution is a new pair of weber dgv's, which I heard are not as good as su's, but I have only seen them compared to roundtops. I could get roundtops, but I have not been able to find the full setup, and then I would have to probably get those rebuilt. I have a 1973 240z with and L28, and I am on a very tight budget. Thank you for your help!

I don't think that Ztherapy will rebuild the flat top carburetors. They deal in the round tops, though Bruce could easily correct me on that point.

I have a spare pair of flat tops that I plan on rebuilding. (Thank you 260 Z for your generous gift.) I figured it would be a great way to learn more about them. Rebuild kits are available.

Yoshi,

You will get a variety of opinions.

There are a couple of options:

1. Learn to maintain the flattops. It can be done. Search HybridZ and zcar.com for TonyD. He has written about maintaining the Flattops and at one time had or has a standing offer to buy them. There is also a manual for the flattops.

2. If you can afford the Ztherapy Carbs I think that would be the general consensus.

3 Get a used set of the early SU's. Keep checking Ebay, the classified sections, post a parts wanted ad. Something will usually show up.

Since I have no experience with Webers I can't help you.

Dave Ruiz

:beer:

We are here to assist you in any way we can. For the flattop[ conversion we actually eat a third of the core charge. AND they are a bolt on. An early style aircleaner will be a bolt on as well as the flattop aircleaner has a different shaped opening to the carbs. Check out part number ZT161 or 162 depending how far into it you want to go......

I have the kits, but I do not have any experience in rebuilding carbs, and I need my car running reliably asap. I would go to roundtops, but I am on a tight budget as a college student. And Bruce, are saying you can rebuild the flattops, even though I know they are not the best, or are you saying do the roundtop conversion? Thanks! Also, I am assuming new dgv's then are not the best option?

I don't know of ANY commercial rebuilding service for flattops.

New DGVs are an option, but I don't see much (if any) advantage to those over properly rebuilt roundtops. Plus, new DGVs aren't cheap. If your budget will cover new DGVs, you should also be able to swing a fresh set of roundtops (ZT161) at $730 (includes core).

Edited by Arne

I found the dgvs on sale which is why I should be able to afford them. So roundtop SU's are the best? I guess I'll just figure out how to rebuild my flattops until I have enough cash to get roundtops. Thanks for the help!