IGNORED

240Z chrome taillamp strips

zed2

I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:  

32 members have voted

1. 1. I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:

• Priced between $20-30 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $30-40 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $40-50 (before shipping & handling)
    • Less than $90 (before shipping & handling)

All 240Z years used the same tailight (69-73) and are completly interchangable.

I am more interested in plastic (or more likely a plateable modern resin formulation) than metal for authenticity, but if the group differs I am still game. Discussion with Kipmotor.com should resolve quickly the pros and cons for either approach with consideration given to cost and durability.

My 2c---

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

You're quicker than this bunny Arne!

Edited by Zup

All 240Z years used the same tailight (69-73) and are completly interchangable.

I am more interested in plastic (or more likely a plateable modern resin formulation) than metal for authenticity, but if the group differs I am still game. Discussion with Kipmotor.com should resolve quickly the pros and cons for either approach with consideration given to cost and durability.

My 2c---

Jim D.

You're quicker than this bunny Arne!

Quick is as quick does.... :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Actually, while the chrome trim strips were all the same, there was a difference between the Series 1 North American tail lights and the later 240Z lights. The early lights had a different part number and the red plastic was a bit deeper in color. That doesn't affect a possible trim repro project, but it should be noted here for accuracy.

I'm torn between metal or plastic on these. Plastic (or resin) would be more authentic, but plated metal would be more durable. In fact, it might be nice if (regardless of material) a replacement could have threaded posts for mounting, rather than smooth for spring clips. Considering the constant issue of discoloration inside the lights from exhaust gases, the ability to disassemble them for cleaning inside would be a big plus.

Edited by Arne

I'm torn between metal or plastic on these. Plastic (or resin) would be more authentic, but plated metal would be more durable. In fact, it might be nice if (regardless of material) a replacement could have threaded posts for mounting, rather than smooth for spring clips. Considering the constant issue of discoloration inside the lights from exhaust gases, the ability to disassemble them for cleaning inside would be a big plus.

Id want plastic the mounting stems are thin. To mold it in metal it would need to be a pot metal so it wouldn't be any stronger, and you would have more weight since it's metal is heavier. Metal would have a better finish and would less likely warp. However a more modern plastic will less likely warp, stronger and plastic chrome seems to have gotten better. I agree a stud and nut would be nice touch, however I'd stick with the old method

I had four sets of the trim strips rechromed a couple years ago, so I don't need any more. I can't recall exactly what they cost but I think it was more than $100 per pair, so if you can get reproductions made for less than $90 it would be cheaper than having them rechromed. Also, if you rechrome originals the fine horizontal lines in the middle need to be in good shape or they will loose their detail after the chroming.

Eprist had complete reproduction taillight sets made. I mentioned to him that people would be interested in just buying the chrome strips if he sold them separately, but he never addressed that for some reason. It's too bad, since they looked like they were really good quality (in the pictures he posted).

As for mounting the trim strips, I just used "Automotive Goop" (yes that is the what it is called). That stuff will hold them forever. I just reused the putty-like original material that holds the lens to the housing, since mine was still in really good shape. Since I don't have the clips in the back I can take the lens off and clean it again if I ever need to.

Actually, while the chrome trim strips were all the same, there was a difference between the Series 1 North American tail lights and the later 240Z lights. The early lights had a different part number and the red plastic was a bit deeper in color. That doesn't affect a possible trim repro project, but it should be noted here for accuracy.

Arne I agree the chrome strips are all the same (none were ever metal). The early lens may be slightly darker, but it is hard to tell and I am not sure that the part number is a good identifier. Early North American market lights are all marked 220-24152 (L or R depending on the side) and most of the later lights are marked 220-24166 (L or R depending on the side). However, I have also seen some later lights marked 220-24152 that are not darker like the early ones. My 5/72 production car has a 220-24152 on the left side and 220-24166 on the right and they both look the same to me (see pictures of the red car below). There is a way to differentiate the early North American market lights though. On all three of my 1969 production cars the only markings are the ones on the bottom of the lens (220-24152 Koito Japan SAE STIR 69) and the markings on the left and right side of the flat rectangular piece in the upper part of the lens. Later lenses have other markings on the outboard side of the lenses (left side on the left lens and right side on the right lens) and some more markings on the flat rectangular piece. I've also attached some pictures of the early lenses from HLS30-00032 after I installed the rechromed trim strips.

-Mike

post-9102-1415081420108_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150814201574_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150814202035_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150814226649_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150814227098_thumb.jpg

Not the best, but will give a pretty good idea of where the original sproules were located. They served as injection points into the mold and as attachment points for installing the finished trim on the lense. The trim is held in place by a steel spring pushnut which fits over the center sproule.

The originals were vaccuum chrome plated plastic and the stripe is a flat black paint applied to the chrome, apparently by brush.

HTH

Jim D.

I commenting with the best intention.

For clarification: "sprue" :D

I only offer the correct spelling to help with accurate searches in the future, even though the word, sprue, may not come often, if ever.

I found this elsewhere (don't remember..)

The restore/repair and plate plastic AND potmetal-

http://www.customcoatings.net/index.html

Put my name on 4 pairs I am still thinking about the Metal versus Plastic but i am leaning toward Plastic .

I would guess Esprit didn't sell the strips separate because it would eliminate a lot of sales of the complete light sets . The Chrome strips are all my lights need to look new .