IGNORED

240Z chrome taillamp strips

zed2

I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:  

32 members have voted

1. 1. I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:

• Priced between $20-30 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $30-40 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $40-50 (before shipping & handling)
    • Less than $90 (before shipping & handling)

Does anyone have a closeup photo of left and right chrome strips, removed from the housing?

There is a local Metro parts supplier (Kip Motor Co http://www.kipmotor.com/) who will custom fabricate parts. Their craftsmanship is fantastic, priced accordingly.

I offer to contact them to determine the feasibility of making the strips.

Please vote in the poll if you are interested in a pair. I want to get an ideal of the level of interest before I spend Kip's or my time on the project.

Keith

Thanks for this post Keith!

After cruising through their website using your link, it is readily apparent that these people know what they are doing and could assuredly produce just about anything we, in the Z community, could throw their way.

The real question is affordablity. Group purchase is the only way this will fly and Diseazd is leading the way.

I'll commit to 4 pair as well.

Who's next!

If this happens,I can think of many heretofor "unobtainum" that might have a chance at resurrection into existance. Fingers crossed I am,

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

I have been to their shop on several occasions. (I have had to purchase parts for my 520 truck motor from them.) Very knowledgeable people. They have some examples of their metal fabrication on display; gas caps, hood ornaments, vent pulls, emblems, door handles, the list is endless.

I have no idea the time frame or cost related to the parts they fabricate. Here is the direct link to their processes: http://www.kipmotor.com/Parts/Metal_castings.htm

Keith

Are we talking metal or plastic?

I'd be up for 2 pair of plastic, one to use soon (need to disassemble and clean my car's lights), and one pair as spares. If the replacements were metal, probably only need a single pair.

Not the best, but will give a pretty good idea of where the original sproules were located. They served as injection points into the mold and as attachment points for installing the finished trim on the lense. The trim is held in place by a steel spring pushnut which fits over the center sproule.

The originals were vaccuum chrome plated plastic and the stripe is a flat black paint applied to the chrome, apparently by brush.

HTH

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

post-8151-14150814198622_thumb.jpg

post-8151-14150814199317_thumb.jpg

post-8151-14150814199913_thumb.jpg

post-8151-14150814200493_thumb.jpg

I hadn't thought of plastic, since then we would have to include a plastic chrome plate facility in the process.

I would only pursue this project if I could find one fabricator who can manufacture the finished project, ie. a turn-key solution.

Does anyone know the production dates (or model years) of the metal and plastic variations?

Keith

There were no metal versions, to the best of my knowledge. All 240Z lights used the plastic trim. My question above was based on the assumption that the repros might not be the same material as original.