IGNORED

240Z chrome taillamp strips

zed2

I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:  

32 members have voted

1. 1. I would only consider a pair of chrome stips if:

• Priced between $20-30 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $30-40 (before shipping & handling)
    • Priced between $40-50 (before shipping & handling)
    • Less than $90 (before shipping & handling)

Zed2, thanks for taking the time to research this issue for everyone. To be honest, for some time I've been contemplating doing exactly what you proposed. During my thought process, however, I realized that remanufacturing them in plastic was only putting the same problem back on, plus, a more expensive plastic chrome process is required for exterior pieces than for interior ones. The ideal solution would be to make these parts out of metal, but cutting them out of solid stock using a CNC machine would be pretty costly. Low cost casting using aluminum, or pot metal would be a nice compromise, but chrome doesn't always adhere well to those materials either and they can become affected by exhaust gases and corrode too.

Here's my latest evolution on this. The goal is to replace the lost metalization from the plastic substrate in the most cost effective and durable manner. I believe it would be much easier to use a press to stamp a metal "appliqué" between two dies to replicate the surface and textures of the strip. This appliqué would then be adhesively affixed to the tail lamp strips still mounted on the car. In this way no disassembly of the lens is required and the cosmetic issue is addressed, permanently. The appliqués can be stamped out of thin stainless steel stock to resist corrosion and shipped in pairs to owners along with adhesive and installation instructions.

Criticisms are welcome.

The appliqués can be stamped out of thin stainless steel stock to resist corrosion and shipped in pairs to owners along with adhesive and installation instructions.

Criticisms are welcome.

Sounds sort of like the dash cap solution, but stamped instead of vacuum formed. I'm guessing the labor, dies, and stamping press will bring the price near the $150 price mentioned in the other solution mentioned above.

The vendor for replica early Z lenses that are currently available could probably provide a more cost effective solution if willing to sell just the chrome strips. Certainly, this is a part many of us would buy if the quality and price were right.

Dennis

I visited with Kip today. Here is his assessment; Manufacturing strips out of metal would cost the same as plastic (as original). The metal strips could be chemically dipped chromed as opposed to the method used for the plastic which we all know deteriorates. To create the mold and manufacture the strips w/chroming would be $150 pair; minimum 10 pairs. There is no shelf life to the mold, so presumably another batch could be produced at a later date.

Based on this cost plus shipping, the interest level at the $90 poll results, and the time to coordinate the project, I think that the project isn't feasible at this time.

Keith

Keith,

If the part is indistinguishable from the original I would still possibly be interested. jlp

The biggest problem with restoration parts is willingness of the needy parties to pay what a part is worth. With a limited market proper custom made reproduction parts are going to be pricy. I was quite surprised at the poll results. I don't know how one could expect a proper reproduction part to sell for so little. That is why the parts are not reproduced. JLP

Well, our US reproduction tail lights are still on the way.

Restoroing old lamps are not very productive unless your tail lamp lenses are in great shape with perfect reflectors and backing housing as well.

We invested over $100K for this project.

So hold on to your wallet.

Well, our US reproduction tail lights are still on the way.

Restoroing old lamps are not very productive unless your tail lamp lenses are in great shape with perfect reflectors and backing housing as well.

We invested over $100K for this project.

So hold on to your wallet.

Holding on! ;)

A new pair just sold on ebay. Two separate auctions, right sides are still available but it is rare to find a NOS left, and yes I know why the lefts are all gone. I was going to bid on them but I could not get conformation from one of the sellers on the markings on the lens. Collectively they sold for just over $700.00:ermm:

I would purchase a set of new for my 72 but I would still want to finish the restoration of the sets I have. I have 3 or 4 sets of near perfect lenses, reflectors and backs needing either refinished strips or replacement strips.

When the reproduction taillights are available do you think it will be possible to purchase the strips and rubber plugs separately?:nervous:

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just tried to buy a pair from Kip. $85 each. Got the message "We're sorry, the item you have requested is not currently in stock" when I attempted to add either strip to the basket.

Keith, can you maybe find out what's going on? Or did they all sell out in the last 2 weeks since you posted them as being available?

Edited by zKars

I’ve been following this thread for some time, watching to see if someone would reproduce 240Z tail light bars, what the quality would be like and what the cost would be. Several here have promised to make them available, but to date no one has parts in any quantity to sell.

My name is Randy Lewis. I’ve owned many, many early Z’s, 510’s and Roadsters and have been part of the Datsun community for over 20 years. I drive and show my cars frequently. I’m regularly accused of being anal about quality and I’m always complimented on how my cars show. In February, I was encouraged to reproduce 240Z tail lamp bars by local club members. I can personally attest to the cost to reproduce complex parts to OEM quality standards. The cost of the tooling alone is thousands of dollars. This is not a venture for the weak of heart. Never the less, I made the decision to proceed seven months ago.

I determined I would only do this if I could offer OEM or better quality. I’ve forwarded my production samples to several well-known and respected individuals in the Z community (including MotorSport Auto in Orange, CA) to validate production quality. I’ve received a volume of pre-orders based on their assessment. My parts are triple chrome plated and have all the proper mold marks on them, as the tooling was produced from OEM parts I provided my supplier. The black paint fill in the center of the bar is identical to the originals. Each set of bars (left and right) will be shipped in poly bags, complete with the correct push-on fasteners and installation instructions. I guarantee the quality of the parts you receive. If you’re unhappy, you can return them for a full refund within 30 days, less the cost of postage.

• Tail lamp bars sold as a pair (right and left sides)

• $175 for the pair plus postage

• $15 flat rate postage anywhere in the U.S. (except bulk orders)

• Package sent Priority Mail (insured)

• Orders for 20 or more pair discounted 10%

• PayPal accepted for payment.

• Orders accepted immediately

• Shipping to begin within 10 days

I don’t know how long my initial run will last but I’d encourage you to act fairly quickly as these parts have been in demand for some time and I’ve already committed some of my initial production run. Orders will be received via e-mail at: parallax.randy.lewis@gmail.com

You’ll be advised via e-mail when your order is ready to ship. Order will ship as soon as I receive payment notification from PayPal.