IGNORED

Rechromed bumpers

kenz240z

just for reference, here are the pics of my original 240 bumpers so that everyone has a reference of my starting point.

This is the rear, although I do have the optional top bar that goes with it as well but no pic. The top bar is in very good shape.

53843381.jpg

here are a couple pics of the front bumper. when I originally purchased it, the rubbers hid the rust so I thought they were in better shape. Interestingly enough, to patch each rust spot was only adding $40 to the price. (20 per spot)

a9f8bea1.jpg

e9e09aa8.jpg

6ca601d5.jpg

079ef533.jpg

just for reference, here are the pics of my original 240 bumpers so that everyone has a reference of my starting point.

Thanks Cozye - that is very helpful.

I have about 3 sets that I would like to send out for re-chrome, plus a couple other guys here in the Tampa Bay area have sets they want to have rechromed. So I'm very interested in this discussion thread.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks Cozye - that is very helpful.

I have about 3 sets that I would like to send out for re-chrome, plus a couple other guys here in the Tampa Bay area have sets they want to have rechromed. So I'm very interested in this discussion thread.

FWIW,

Carl B.

No problem. for what it's worth, the nu-chrome guys I think would handle restoring bumpers very well. When I talked to Denver bumper, they indicated by phone that if there was any rust through, they wouldn't fix it. Once you factored in shipping etc.. I think they are both very close in price. The original price from nu-chrome to just restore my bumpers as they are was $850, however it went up once he found out I wanted all the holes filled. He did not want to come down on price much and indicated that he had to have that amount in order to do a quality job. They do have a lot of years experience specifically with restoration etc..

I know a lot of guys really like the Denver bumper shop, and they seem to have a great reputation. I do think the Nu-chrome place will be a viable alternative though and worth giving a shot. Nu-chrome will send fedex to pick up your bumpers for free for evaluation and quote. It is going to cost me $35 to get them back since I opted out of the job. I was just at the point where new stainless started to make more sense for me. Not to mention I will be getting the new bumpers in half the time. The rechrome is 8-12 weeks.

Thanks - I guess if they have so much business that they are 8-12 weeks behind, they don't have much incentive to lower their price either.

Anyway you look at it - OSHA and EPA have at least trippled the cost of running a plating business in the U.S. Wonder if anyone has used any shops in Mexico.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Johhny'O...I would say the appearance of the SS to chrome favors the SS. The stainless is just as shiny, but has less of the obvious "coated" appearance that chrome has. My Z will be all black, chrome, polished aluminum and likely a charcoal gray leather with some nice wood pieces for console. I wanted just the thin line chrome look, so I was really thrilled with their sleekness when I saw these at last. As I mentioned, they will not be protection, but the original bumpers weren't much protection either. These, I think, are superior in depth of shine. SS will tarnish slightly, but that oxidation will polish, whereas rust eats through; scratches should buff out. I believe they also do the overriders, but I think they may not supply the rubbers. Don't know, as I was not interested in those. The bumpers are painted black on the backside. Of course, I can't speak of their longevity, since they reside still in my attic until a few other projects are off the list. I do still have an OE rear if anyone is interested, but it does need rechromed. I have no monetary expectations, if somebody here in central Indiana wants me to pull it out of my attic. Later, Jim

I have dealt with replated bumpers since the late 60's and I'm surprised that any plating shop would attempt to repair the rust holes in the pictured front bumper and plate. That bumper appears to have been plated before and the fractured plating held moisture and started a blister which created the enviroment for the steel to rust through. An original plated bumper will not exhibit that peeling type of failure.

You really dont want to replate any part that has been replated once. I forget the exact terminolgy but after the second time in the tank changes occur to the molecular composition of the metal from the acids and the current. This in turn causes difficulties in the adhesion of the copper,nickle and chrome to the metal. I'm currently looking for a unplated front for a 260z for this very reason. There really isnt an inexpensive alternative for any plating of automotive parts.

I have dealt with replated bumpers since the late 60's and I'm surprised that any plating shop would attempt to repair the rust holes in the pictured front bumper and plate. That bumper appears to have been plated before and the fractured plating held moisture and started a blister which created the enviroment for the steel to rust through. An original plated bumper will not exhibit that peeling type of failure.

You really dont want to replate any part that has been replated once. I forget the exact terminolgy but after the second time in the tank changes occur to the molecular composition of the metal from the acids and the current. This in turn causes difficulties in the adhesion of the copper,nickle and chrome to the metal. I'm currently looking for a unplated front for a 260z for this very reason. There really isnt an inexpensive alternative for any plating of automotive parts.

They cut it out, weld in new, and grind it smooth again. Their website has a pretty good detail about how they restore bumpers. FWIW, the rust is there from the rubbers being glued on, the moisture got between the rubber and chrome right where the over rider was rubbing on the edge.

• 3 months later...

Received the call from Denver Bumper today. My complete rear bumper is done and will be hear on Tuesday. Total cost for 2 corners, center, 2 uprights and 4 bolts is $370 plus $40.00 for return shipping. It cost me $15.00 to ship to them so I will have a total of $425.00 into them plus the cost of new rubbber. I started off with very straight but pitted parts. The only rust was on the mounting bolts. I am curious to see how they handled that. I was told 2 weeks turn-around but it actually was 1 day shy of 3 weeks which I think is acceptable if the job is done right.

Does anyone know if the rear over rider rubbers are still available? I have checked with most of the usual suspects and can't seem to find them.

Pictures to follow.

John

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, z3beemer said:

Does anyone know if this Denver Bumper is still in business?  I tried the number I found Googling it but says its been disconnected. Don't know if I had the right place or not.

Unfortunately, the owner of Denver Bumper Works sold the land and the building to a pot company and the owner retired. The new owners of the property razed the building and built new grow houses. Here's a picture that I took soon after the building was razed in July of 2014.

I really miss Denver Bumper. I don't think that there are any other chrome shops here in the Denver area. 

IMG_20140720_124226_689.jpg

• Sad 1