IGNORED

Rebuild kit from Z-Therapy

zdude1967

My car smokes a blue fuel smelling exhaust. I am thinking of buying the z therapy rebuilt kit and trying my hand at doing it myself. Has anybody used this kit and what was your level of success.Is it easy to use and does it cover how to adjust the floats

Thanks

Glenn

+1 on calling Bruce.

What year carbs? If they are from a '72, they have different float heights for each carb. Make sure you know this prior to checking them. I made a float height tool per a drawing I found here and it makes setting the floats much easier. It's just a block of hardwood cut to the right thickness. In my case it has two ends for the two heights as my carbs are from a '72. Measuring them without the tool isn't easy and will likely cause you to set them wrong.

Like Gary said, you have to know the year. That said, you can see the difference in the float mounts if you have '72 carbs.

I will take a picture tonight of my height gage. It took less than 20 minutes to make and saved me a whole bunch of aggravation when I adjusted the floats. Disclaimer: I am also a woodworker, so I had the tools needed to make the block and it was fun to do. I made it one night after reading how to make it. I didn't actually need to use it for several weeks, so the time to make it wasn't lost. If you don't have the tools needed to make the tool, just find something in your shop to use as Gary suggested.

See post #3 of this thread http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30563&highlight=float+height

It lists the float heights and shows the tool.

Edited by Jeff G 78

Your car is smoking blue? If I am correct, that is a sign of possible worn piston rings or valve seals... Did you check your spark plugs to see if they are exposed to oil? On the other hand, I may be totally wrong... but that was the symptom of my '70.

Your car is smoking blue? If I am correct, that is a sign of possible worn piston rings or valve seals... Did you check your spark plugs to see if they are exposed to oil? On the other hand, I may be totally wrong... but that was the symptom of my '70.

Blue usually means oil, gas is white smoke. It would not be a bad idea to lash the valves, do a compression test, and maybe a leak-down test