IGNORED

Drug this home today

ArnieTX

Yes, this car would originally have had a 180km/h speedometer. I would guess that this was swapped out when the car went to the USA.

You can see what the km/h speedo looked like if you blow up the brochure shot of the dash from my first post.

Thank you for the clarification. I was originally dreaming/speculating that it was possible that some domestic models were built RHD but with a speedometer in mph for some sub-market (Okinawa, etc.).

It's interesting to see from your brochure shot that there's a speedometer "redline" at about 170km/h (106 mph) and the max of 180km/h is only about 112 mph. While the US 180mph speedometer is wildly optimistic the domestic speedometer seems a bit short. The 2nd power chart you posted for the 5-speed makes it look like 180km/h was indeed possible.

Looking at Alan T. picture, andvthe car in question; it looks like someone tried to use a 280ZX as a parts car to get this car running or keep it running. The intake looks like 280ZX more than Alan T's picture, the zx wheel, and the emissions controls looks what was on the ZX

It would be interesting to know how a Fairlady Z found itself in the US. Who imported it and who neglected or gave-up on it? Considering the hassle to import this car to the US, and its uniqueness here, I'm surprised to see it in that condition.

Every car has a history. How is it that such a rare car has been reduced to a basket case.

It was probably shipped home by a military member that was stationed overseas. I was never stationed outside the US, but I was stationed in Hawaii and they paid to ship one vehicle there and one back. I think the same thing applies for those outside the US. I'm not sure how many Fairladys of various years were shipped back, but I would guess it was not that uncommon. Since the cars were pretty inexpensive and getting parts for them in the US can be difficult, it is not surprising that many of the ones left are in pretty rough condition. There are some nice ones still around though. There was a nice maroon g-nose S30 on display in the lobby of the hotel at last years Zcon.

-Mike

The injector fans are actually emissions equipment ...

Sorry, I had assumed that the injector fans were part of Nissan's long running effort in that era to fight vapor lock, and had read that the vapor lock issue was worse in slow moving heavy traffic. I guess I see where the fans would perhaps reduce evaporative fuel emissions somewhat...

I know someone who installed one of those fans on a 260Z to try to prevent vapor lock. That was the basis of my comment.

So then this car is a hodge-podge of various parts from various sources, and without knowing the history of why things were added it could be difficult to sort out what is needed from what isn't.

See if you can get hold of Jim Jackson, VP of New York Z Car Club.

Website is NYZCC.org, Jim goes by Jim260Z.

Jim has had a car similar to your RHD 2+2 for some time now, and

might be a valuable resource on what to do, how to do it, whom to

speak to for what...............

Or if you plan to go to ZCON2010 (hope you do, I'd like to meet you),

Jim and his wife and daughter are going to be there too.

All Z Best,....................................Kathy & Rick

Looking at Alan T. picture, andvthe car in question; it looks like someone tried to use a 280ZX as a parts car to get this car running or keep it running. The intake looks like 280ZX more than Alan T's picture, the zx wheel, and the emissions controls looks what was on the ZX

Going by the relatively high engine number of that L20 block, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the whole engine could be from a later model - very likely a Japanese market S130-series Fairlady Z. That would explain some of the "ZX-like" parts seen on it.

I can understand why people might point at what they call "280ZX" parts and details on such a car, but the "ZX" variants were Export models, and this car would have spent the first years of its life in its home market of Japan. Japan had the non-'X' S130-series Fairlady Z, Fairlady Z-L, Fairlady Z-T, Fairlady 280Z, Fairlady 280Z-L, Fairlady 280Z-T and their '2/2' variants ( I've listed them up on this forum in the past ) and one of the 2-litre models could have donated an engine ( and steering wheel! ) to this car whilst it was still in Japan.

It was probably shipped home by a military member that was stationed overseas.

I agree. Many of these Japanese home market cars that turn up 'out of market' are what I call "G.I. Brides".

Two of my own cars here in the UK were originally imported by USAF personnel who had been posted to Japanese bases and then posted to UK bases on their 'rotation' tours of duty. They bought the cars in Japan, used them there ( RHD in an RHD country ) and then had them transported - gratis - to the UK as part of their allowance, and used them here ( again, RHD in an RHD country ). Some of these personnel were posted on 'exchange' with Royal Air Force personnel before finally going home to the USA, like the first owner of my 1970 Fairlady Z-L - Sergeant W.P. Comstock. Wonder if he's still around?

I know of at least 15 Japanese market cars which arrived here in the UK as such 'G.I. Brides'. On returning to the USA, their owners sold them here. I have been told that it was an accepted practice which helped to give them a little extra 'pocket money' on returning home. Makes sense.

It's interesting to see from your brochure shot that there's a speedometer "redline" at about 170km/h (106 mph) and the max of 180km/h is only about 112 mph. While the US 180mph speedometer is wildly optimistic the domestic speedometer seems a bit short. The 2nd power chart you posted for the 5-speed makes it look like 180km/h was indeed possible.

More to do with the national speed limit in Japan than the capabilities of the car, I think. Not that the car couldn't manage 180km/h, or that there was nowhere in Japan to do it ( there was ), but more that you had no business to be doing 180km/h or more on public roads in Japan at the time...!

Alan T.