IGNORED

FRP shells available?

cbudvet

Kit cars are much tougher to register in some states (N.J. being one of them )I really did not give much thought to insurance ?? What would be the difference of Buying fiberglass hood fenders doors hatch and quarter panels and putting them on a S30 "Tub" ??

Carl our Z cars are exactly 300 vin #s apart I own Hls3000033

I think it is intended as a shell for a rally car only. As it is, it wouldn't be any good as a road car unless you put a full cage in it to stiffen it. I for one wouldn't want to drive in that without some protection.

Interesting that someone thinks that there is enough of a market to warrant the work on the moulds alone. I wonder how many they'd need to sell to make a profit.

Interesting thread.

After coming across an Ebay ad, I found this site:

http://www.frpautomotive.com/index.html

It belongs to a UK company offering, among other things, complete fiberglass shells and panels for a 240Z. I'm curious if anyone here has heard of this, or better yet tried it. If the mounting points lined up, it might be fairly easy to transfer parts over. I'd be a little cautious of something that cannot be welded.

Nevertheless, an interesting option for those looking to replace a rusted out or seriously damaged shell. The prices look a little spendy by the time you consider what shipping across the pond would be, but I bet in many cases it would be cheaper than stripping and repairing an original shell.

Hmmm... I wonder what it would cost in carbon fiber?

Check out www.frpautomotive.com

They sell High Quality FRP Body Shells & Panels.

I have owned 10 different 240z's. I am currently trying to finish a 1970 serial # 620 that I started the restoration in 1986. I am also completing a 1972 Datsun 510 Wagon I found on e-bay a couple of years ago.

The site above sells panels and Bumpers

Tom

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, Craig here from FRP Automotive.

I have enjoyed many of the topics here on the forum as many of your cars are modified in a different way to most of the uk cars.

I am about to start a build on a track 240Z using the composite bodyshell/panels and a new subframe.

Initially I want to keep the mechanicals as stock as possible so I can make a direct comparison between the composite car and the steel car with regard to how it feels and handles on the track. Then further upgrades will happen after that.

This car will be mine, so if it is of any interest I would like to post a build thread.

I am hoping the thread generates enough interest as it would be great to get some feedback and suggestions on various parts of the build.

Feel free to ask anything you like, and thanks in advance.

Cheers

Craig

Edited by frp craig

• 4 months later...