IGNORED

FRP shells available?

cbudvet

I was hard at work and surfing ebay and found this for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-240-Datsun-240z-FRP-Body-Shell-All-Panels-Brand-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2306f30b3aQQitemZ150440446778QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_1463wt_925

I am not sure what my feelings are. It would be good for racing but then its not a "real" z car. At least it wouldn't rust. Would this be titled as a datsun or a kit car? Has anyone seen this before? What are everyones thoughts? Just curious.

carl

I wonder how much the subframe would set someone back? Also, how safe would it be compared to our not so safe tin cans.

I am pretty sure there was a thread on getting something like this made, in fact the pics look to be of the same car. I wouldnt mind having the main glass shell and throwing my good bits on it, but I am sure it wouldnt drop the price too much.

That would require a visit and a drive in a completed one...

Titling it-much less importing and insuring it-could be a real issue...Mechanical parts may fit, but interior looks like it would be a challenge to put back in-fiberglass has to have a thicker cross section to have the strength of steel, and that extra bult has to go somewhere...The light coming through the bulk of the firewall tray hints the material is pretty thin there...

Will

I am guessing you could title this like a kit car and I wouldnt think it would be that big of a problem.

Most kit cars use a chassis from a donor car-and get titled with the vin on that chassis. Insurance as a road car would be a bear-easy to get by not saying anything about the chassis, but make a claim, and I would bet unless it was registered as experimental, the insurance company would be tough to get anything from.

An easier answer to registering it would be to use the vin from the donor car donating all of the suspension and drivetrain like the buyers of the Daycorn Bodys for 1969 Camaros do or the Brookville bodies for the 32 Ford but the legality of this brings up many more questions .From what i have seen anything over 25 years old not much matters (with the exception of stolen cars)

I think Hagerty and Grundy are pretty supportive of kit cars. However, if you tried to pass it off to them or any other company as factory I am sure any claim would be nullified.

I would think that the rigidity of the car would a problem. When you look at the picture of the front end, it looks like there are only the frame rails with the body panels attached at points not the unibody construction of the original. I would think the front end would be wobbly.

carl