IGNORED

Kia Sportage weatherstip rocks!

steve91tt

Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned (post 16) that the FRONT doors had a longer piece, so keep that in mind.

dkw-

Your link in post #108 redirects to an industrial equipment supplier,  you might want to correct the address.

Since my car was recently painted, I thought what the heck lets try the door seals from  precision, since the whole kit was from them. But I needed to slam the door again. So put back my old seals for the doors that worked fine.

Anyhow the problem with the seal from precision ( and other immitation brands ) is that when you close the door, it starts rubbing at the lower front of the door when you start closing it, about halfway, and then from that point the friction prevents from closing the door normally, so you need to slam it. Also the rubber is to stiff, preventing the door from lining up properly with the body on the outside.

My car has a plastic trim piece that goes around the door opening, and is the colour of the interior.  The door seal is glued to that plastic part.  If you used the Sportage seal, you'll see the black rubber from the inside, right?  So is that seal made of a rubber than be painted to match the interior?  That could affect you score at a Z meet, if someone saw black rubber where there was a colored plastic molding.

My car has a plastic trim piece that goes around the door opening, and is the colour of the interior.  The door seal is glued to that plastic part.  If you used the Sportage seal, you'll see the black rubber from the inside, right?  So is that seal made of a rubber than be painted to match the interior?  That could affect you score at a Z meet, if someone saw black rubber where there was a colored plastic molding.

Tomo - the earlier cars have a similar piece around the door openings, although it is not plastic - more of a coated spring metal.  That's called the welting and the Kia Sportage piece has the welting incorporated with it so no bare rubber is visible from inside.  The Kia welting looks virtually identical to OE - been there, done that.

There is a good photo of the weatherstrip profile in Post #17, and zKars had some photos showing the welting in Post #36, but is there a close-up photo of the welting?  How would it compare to the Datsun OEM weatherstrip?  Also, will the welting handle some paint?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...