IGNORED

Tensioner pulley screaming

2604629831_a8541c020a_o.jpg

Okay I was starting to warm up the engine today to get a baseline readings on my original set of SU' before I remove the intake and install my new Ztherapy carbs. However, their was a prolonged screaming that was audible above the engine. I got out my 3 foot screwdriver and listened to every thing that rotates. Sure enough it was the tensioner for the AC right in front of the valve cover (you can see it in between the front of the valve cover and fan, sorry for the old picture). I removed the belt and the noise stopped. When I spin it, its very rough sounding as I think its bearing has given up the ghost so to speak.

Now as we all know the AC units on our cars were installed in various manner by the dealer. In 1971, they were probably all not the same units and I think trying to find a replacement is going to be tough.

Having said that, I have not tried to take it off yet, and maybe there would be a bearing place that can match one up and press it in.

Any thoughts.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Perhaps you could, Stephen. But I think I would take it to Doug and have him install a new rotary compressor for you. It's mounted low and to the left of the engine and is unobtrusive to view. Besides, it does a better job of pumping cold air than the compressor you now enjoy.

BTW, when are you gonna go trackin'?:love:

Frank

Yes, you can match the bearing, any bearing supply store should be able to help.

you can probably press the bearing on and off yourself by being creative with a bench vice, sockets, or nut and botl with a couple of large washers. Or just bring the parts to a garage and have them do it.

The stock 280zx bearings are pretty easy, not sure what that set up is like.

I had the same set up on my '73. Since it didn't work I just got rid of it. I didn't pay much attention to the tensioner or bracket. But you can probably match the bearing and replace it yourself.

If your a/c still works just match the bearing.

If you want a cleaner looking install then go with a new a/c compressor. It's not just the compreesor that would need changed, new hoses among other things to consider.

2604629831_a8541c020a_o.jpg

Okay I was starting to warm up the engine today to get a baseline readings on my original set of SU' before I remove the intake and install my new Ztherapy carbs. However, their was a prolonged screaming that was audible above the engine. I got out my 3 foot screwdriver and listened to every thing that rotates. Sure enough it was the tensioner for the AC right in front of the valve cover (you can see it in between the front of the valve cover and fan, sorry for the old picture). I removed the belt and the noise stopped. When I spin it, its very rough sounding as I think its bearing has given up the ghost so to speak.

Now as we all know the AC units on our cars were installed in various manner by the dealer. In 1971, they were probably all not the same units and I think trying to find a replacement is going to be tough.

Having said that, I have not tried to take it off yet, and maybe there would be a bearing place that can match one up and press it in.

Any thoughts.

Email me a pic of your tensioner and I'll compare it to a few that I have to see if I have a replacement for you. That is if you would like to explore that option.

As another poster mentioned, you'll need new hoses and such to go along with it. I don't have any idea about the price of parts, but Doug installed mine for ~ $2300 complete. Compressor and hoses should be a minor fraction of that. I'd suggest you call him and get an estimate if you're considering that route.

Frank