IGNORED

24 months of intensive restoration, and I'm almost done.

blakt out

Hi blakt out:

I owned/operated my own Muffler Shop for a couple years {decades ago} - that is beautiful work on your exhaust system.

Are you planing any ceramic coating or other final finish?

I would suggest making that tail pipe coming out of the muffler - a little longer. You might get exhaust gases drifting up and coating your bumper and tail lights, or allowing exhaust gas to creep into the car. Exhaust gas also get under the threshold plate {where the rear deck lid closes down}, that will over a long period result in the metal being eaten by the acids in the exhaust. This has always been a problem area on these cars.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl:

Thanks much. I remember this being an issue in previous Zs that I've owned. Didn't know if it was because of bad gaskets/grommets/etc or what. I'll have them extend it though.

We're ceramic coating the whole thing, yes. Thanks for saying that the work is nice. I thought so too, but some comments have lead me to question my judgement.

She's coming along nicely Jared! It will be amazing when completed. Intresting touch with the SR20... my personal choices don't revolve around turbos or 4 bangers, but it will definetly haul some serious arse! I have a 1:18 (?) scale 240 diecast that has an SR20 under the hood... maybe I can make it up to Knoxville to see one in real life once your done.

Keep the updates coming!

Absolutely beautiful job on the car Jared! I love everything you've done and would love to do a Z up like this at some point in the future. By the time I get there keeping one completely stock probably won't be an option anyway due to the the shrinking availiabilty of parts so guilt and peer pressure won't deter me from going all out!.....or should I say ALL IN!

Glad you found flickr. What is your username so I can add you to my contacts. Mine is RVAE34

FYI, you can find the flickr username simply by looking at the props for one of the linked pics. Here it is for your reference in anyone hasen't fingered this out already.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredcullop

BTW, Flickr is by far the better choice IMHO.

Edited by =Enigma=

Which comments lead you to questioning your judgment, Blakt?

I totally agree with Carl. Exhaust fumes are likely to seep through the rear cargo area, even if you think your seals are sound. Good call, Carl.

I'm sorry for the vagueness. Someone on another forum told me (and all visitors) that the welding is amateur at best, and that he hopes I didn't pay much for that exhaust. It was a bit shocking.

I have had the exhaust issue before on other S30s. Pretty much forgot though. So glad to be reminded!

She's coming along nicely Jared! It will be amazing when completed. Intresting touch with the SR20... my personal choices don't revolve around turbos or 4 bangers, but it will definetly haul some serious arse! I have a 1:18 (?) scale 240 diecast that has an SR20 under the hood... maybe I can make it up to Knoxville to see one in real life once your done.

Keep the updates coming!

Thanks much!

I'm actually rebuilding the L24 and it will be as beautiful as the rest of the car just sitting on a stand in the garage. If I ever want to pull out the SR20, it won't be a big deal. We didn't cut ANYTHING to put it in there.

The decision for the SR20 was this:

What is the best power that I can get out of a Nissan/Datsun engine (don't want to do a V8 or anything. I wanted to keep it in the family, per se.) How much power is enough (don't want power just for power's sake, but what the improved chassis can handle) - I settled on 380-400RWHP. Now, my options really were: SR20DET and build it, VQ 6 cyl from 350Z or so and build it, RB26DETT from Skyline and build it, or L series stroked and turbocharged.

All will hit this number. So, I investigated power deliveries. The SR, being the smallest engine, will still hit the number with a very good looking power & torque curve set. Done correctly, it wil spool quickly and have very minimal lag. The others of course can be made to do this too, other than maybe the L- Series (just not as well as the other three). I personally just don't like the low rpm and trucklike sound/feel of the VQ, so that one was out. Down to the RB and the SR. The RB would have been cooler really, but why? It weighs substantially more, puts weight well towards the front of the car, and offers nothing more than the SR (within my goal set) other than coolness and beauty. In the end, I chose to take the lightest engine that would hit my goals and see what I think. If I don't like it, I can pull it out and sell it to someone with a 240SX for a song, because it's completely gone through and tuned perfectly by a very well known builder.

This won't be a "woosh woosh" turbo car. But I wanted to modernize it a bit, while keeping the interior and exterior very true to the car that it is. It should handle extremely well, stop extremely well, and now will actually have the engine in it that Nissan SHOULD (in my opinion) put into it now if they were to make a 240Z again today.

Just wanted to at least relay my thought pattern. I put a 350 in a 280 once and hated it. I felt so bad. It was like having a pretty lady come up to you and speak, but she sounds like a man. Don't want to start any negative discussions, but my err last time really made me cautious and contemplative on this engine choice. I think I made the right decision for me on this one.:beer:

BLAKT OUT......I think you made a great decision....can't wait to hear the results. Also, I like your idea of building the original engine and having it on an engine stand ready to bring it back to original. I did the same thing.....3 times. Your project is a joy to watch.....best of luck with the final product! Guy

• 2 weeks later...