IGNORED

24 months of intensive restoration, and I'm almost done.

blakt out

I've seen quite a few 30's street rods popping up, and they're selling for insane prices. So you take a very nice, classic, early 30's coupe, chop the top, throw out some cool old engine and the hood that goes around it, put a big, chrome-covered, supercharged V-8 in it, lower it, put flares and fat wheels on it, and otherwise make it look like a Hot Wheels car, and it goes for insanely big bucks!

You're just now seeing this? Well built, quality hot rods have been selling for insanely big bucks for decades. Go to any of the top national hot rod shows (NSRA Nationals, GN Roadster Show, Hot Rod Super Nats) you'll see lots of beautifully crafted custom cars selling for six figures.

I applaud folks who make something unique out of the mundane. I mean, how boring would Z car shows be if everyone showed up with a stock, restored car? How many original 1972 240Zs can you look at? "Look, there's another orange one, right next to those other seven orange 1972s. Oh wait, that orange one has an automatic! Man I need to sit down, this is too much excitement..."

:-)

Edited by John Coffey

The difference between men and boys is "the price of their toys!" Beautiful car.......beautifully done. My friend did one with an RB26........Blazing torque and acceleration. Wish I could put Blakt's car in my garage. Unfortunately builders who do everything first class rarely recoupe their dollar investment, and that doesn't even include the 2,000 hours of labor, but most people who do nice resto's get most of the satisfaction "doing it right!" When's your birthday Brandon? LOL

Edited by Diseazd

You're just now seeing this?

LOL Well, yes. At least from what I've seen, the prices of these things have really exploded recently. I remember lower 5 figures, yes, but not 6. Moreover I don't think the stock restorations have appreciated nearly so well. I admit I don't follow that market niche really closely, though.

Peace guys, I agree with you on the fact that restomods are gaining value, I too watch barret jackson with quite some interest. But in general, an engine swapped Z has been worth much less than an all original showcase Z. There IS some logic that a VERY well done restomod (like this one) could elevate itself to the level of a pristine original example. I can buy that. I could even say a really great one could go higher than an all original.

However, that is not what is happening. Hear me out. This car is trying to set a precedent that a restomod can be worth 4 times as much as a concourse original. It is like saying a slant 6 challenger made to look like a hemi cuda could be worth 4 times as much as the cuda.

Look at what a concourse Z and jareds nice Z have in common. They have beautiful bodies that are probably better than the original, so that is a wash. The interiors are identical OEM perfection, so that is a wash. A concourse Z would probably fetch about 35k ish.

So what we are trying to determine is if the engine, transmission and suspension in jareds car is worth 90000 dollars more than a pristine condition OEM engine, transmission, and suspension. Because everything else is a wash.

How much is an RB engine worth? how much is a set of control arms and dif cover worth? how much are coil overs and rims worth. Rather how much more are they worth over the price of a stock part.

A nice Rebello costs what 4500k

What does a really nice RB cost? 6000? Not sure.

You see what I am getting at. Look I am the first to admit that car is not worth just the sum of its parts...but I just think the 125k is on the north side of extreme.

However, that is not what is happening. Hear me out. This car is trying to set a precedent that a restomod can be worth 4 times as much as a concourse original. It is like saying a slant 6 challenger made to look like a hemi cuda could be worth 4 times as much as the cuda.

You're building a straw man and then tearing it down. The car (owner) did not set out to achieve the goals you state when he built the car. He built a car based on his own desires and is now trying to recoup as much of the money he put into it as he can. I don't think he gives a rat's patootie whether he sets some kind of precedent with the sale.

My racing 240Z had $65,000 in it. I did not build the car to set a sale price precedent for racing 240Zs and I ended up parting it out for about $24,000 when everything was done. It might have set some kind of precedent on a parted out old Datsun, but who cares?

I will be excited to see what the final price is on the car. Especially with the state of the economy.

I feel that when you build a car of this caliber you should either A. Plan to keep it for the rest of your life or B. know that you may at best net half of total money spent (probably closer to 35-40%)

The real problem is you will never get the money back when farming all the work out. You could maybe come close to breaking even (MAYBE) when doing all the work yourself but I imagine the builder has mid-high 5 figures in labor alone as this is top notch work.

I certainly wish the seller the best. This is truly one of the nicest Z's I have ever seen. I do think that if the right buyer came along, it would be someone who isn't really worried about the cost. But that person would have to really love the color and powerplant as you can build a close version of this car for less money and more power with the RB. That being said, I always thought the SR20 would be an ideal powerplant for the S30. The RB is just too much power for the small chasis IMO. Unless it was bone stock.

Maybe Leno or Corola will bid ;) Until that final hour we are all assuming though. Anything can happen and there are lots of enthusiasts out there with deep pockets.

Me personally... For $125k, I would buy a new/used GTR, a concourse stock Z and have a little bit leftover for insurance :)

Edited by five&dime

Hey guys. I appreciate the convo. In the end, I didn't build it to sell. Maybe it WON'T sell. But I had 4 buyers over $50k on eBay, and none of them had seen the car, as far as I know.

I love talking speculation and guessing at the market of cars. I'm glad to have done something for us ALL (self included) to guess over! I've got some other things up my sleeve, exposure-wise, to get this car out into the right eyes. I have to say, this is pretty fun!

I don't, however, have a clue what this statement here is about. Me?

Looks like a lame attempt to legitimize himself in the 'carcover.com' thread.

Seems maybe some don't understand the obsession that a car can become. When you get a vision of what you want it is easy to get tunnel vision. I have done this on many projects. It can be hard on a marriage but if kept in check can be the most fun with your clothes on you can have ;)

It's not about legitimizing anything. It's about creativity and passion and some people don't "get" that.

What is so cool is when my kids or wife say " Dad you can build anything ":cool:

I don't, however, have a clue what this statement here is about. Me?

No, it wasn't about you. It was in regards to posts by "John-Sparks" in a car-cover thread that has since been locked, deleted and I think "John-Sparks" was banned from the site. Take a look at post #177 above.

Good luck with the sale.

-Mike

Hey Blakt Out,

I'm actually sorry to hear you are selling the car. Money aside, I know how much time and effort you put into this car and it turned out fantastic.

It is clear you are a very successful person and I enjoy your posts and the high road you have taken on all discussions. Good luck on the sale, I hope the person that eventually buys it can appreciate the thought that went into it.