IGNORED

Packing tape on paint

conedodger

Someone (and yes, I know who) thought it would be cute to leave me a note that said "drive me" on the door of my Z under the car cover with packing tape to attach it. Now, I have packing tape VERY adhered to the paint on my passenger door. I tried adhesive remover and that got some of it but I still have about 3 square inches that just will not come off...

How about a heat gun? I am at a loss. What do you guys think?

I'd go to the heat gun as a very last resort. Try something called "Goof Off". I've been impressed with it before. I've found it at the local ACE hardware, I'd guess Wally World and the like as well. Ain't it cool to have friends? That's why (at least one reason) I don't have any............

OUCH!

Have you tried some Mineral Spirits? Denatured Alcohol? Goof-off? Tar and Grease remover?

All of those will probably remove any wax or protective finish, but they are better than adhesive.

DON'T use a heat gun. You may literally "burn" in the adhesive's solvent into your paint.

FWIW

E

There is no wax on the paint at all... I painted it a year or so back and I have been reassembling as I get the new interior stuff. That way the paint can fully cure.

Outside, with the exception of the tape it looks like a new car. Inside, not so much... I have a new dash with new instruments, new seat covers, new carpet, new vinyl interior plastic, new everything except door panels which I will get from MSA or CDM.

I agree, try the WD40, and give it a little soak time. I use it for tree sap all the time. I take a blue shop towel off the roll, spray some on the towel, then spray a little directly on the sap. I dab a little a let it sit a minute. I start scrubbing with the blue towel. It takes some time but I have cleaned off some messy, gooey tree sap this way. (I know you're working with adhesive but I thought I'd tell you how I did it with sap)

My experience with Tar and Sap remover is that it removed more paint than sap. I still have a full bottle of it because of this problem.

Be careful with Goof off, it WILL take off paint. Goo Gone will too but to a lesser degree.

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

And after you get it all off and clean, smack your "Friend"? upside the back of his/her head for all of us.

My brother thought it would be funny to use box tape to tape some bunny ears and a cotton tail on my 510 during easter. He thought it was hilarious until he had to slowly peel it all off and goo-gone everything, then buff the spot out, all while I was sitting in a lawn chair with a small baseball bat.

Younger brothers, Why mom? Why?

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

I agree, try the WD40, and give it a little soak time. I use it for tree sap all the time. I take a blue shop towel off the roll, spray some on the towel, then spray a little directly on the sap. I dab a little a let it sit a minute. I start scrubbing with the blue towel. It takes some time but I have cleaned off some messy, gooey tree sap this way. (I know you're working with adhesive but I thought I'd tell you how I did it with sap)

My experience with Tar and Sap remover is that it removed more paint than sap. I still have a full bottle of it because of this problem.

Be careful with Goof off, it WILL take off paint. Goo Gone will too but to a lesser degree.

From what you post, you may have the original ALKYD ENAMEL paint which has started to chalk up.

That you are "removing paint", is more than likely oxidized paint from the top layers that is being removed by your rubbing and yes, exacerbated by the Goof Off, Goo Gone, and Tar and Sap remover. If you were to use a "restorative" wax product, you'd find the same results but you would likely at least have some shine left.

Just supposing, you might also be dealing with old oxidized Lacquer or one of the other enamel configurations.

E