IGNORED

Ron Tyler Differential Mount

Travel'n Man

I suppose I should've taken some additional measurements for distance from the ground/tunnel floor and such. However, from what I could tell the the pinion angle and tailshaft angle were darn near parallel to each other.

My old truck had hydraulics and I could lift and lower the truck over a 12" stroke and had less noise/vibration out of that range of movement. However, it was with a slightly longer two peice driveshaft.

Why is everyone trying to "reinvent the wheel"? If you use the stock mount and the Ron Tyler mount with a bump stop, all you've done is installed a solution that is far superior to stock but at the same time kept the alignment that Nissan engineers intended. The stock rubber mount also prevents vibration from causing stress fracture of the cross member.....even if it damaged. IMO......Use the R/T mount with a bump stop and the stock rubber mount.....works great on all 5 of my cars.

Edited by Diseazd

I gotta second what Diseazed just said. The stock style mount isn't fragile by any means in one direction... compression. Rubber is great under compression, but not so hot under tension, if you use the RT mount with a snubber the snubber controls upward movement under compression and the stock mount handles downward movement under compression. It's pretty bulletproof and maintains the stock pinion angle. The only reason to use the GM transmission mount to hang the diff is if you're swapping engines & transmissions radically and need to change the pinion angle to something non-factory.

Also, just a note for anybody coming across this thread, if you're going to use the GM transmission mount you CANNOT use an OEM one, you have to use an aftermarket urethane one because.... you guessed it... rubber is wear under tension. The Energy Suspension aftermarket mount has a metal interlock cast into it so even if the rubber tears through you don't start dropping big pieces of car on the road.

I talked to the guys at TECHNO... and they said the GM mount would not work on bottom, it is too thick, and throws off the angle. But if I keep my stock mount on bottom [even though it is beginning to fail], and add the RT mount with the stub, and it would work, because of the Sandwich effect... So i guess that is the thing I'll do... If I'm gonna spend 60 dollars, I'd rather do it in a way that would improve it over the stock item, that is prone to failure.

• 2 weeks later...

. What I was looking for was stock pinion angles of operation for the s-30. I'm looking for exact numbers from your stock machine which includes down angle of trans, angle of DS, angle of pinion.

My case of vibration is at 75mph approx. I WAS running the RT mount with GM insulator, but I have gone back to stock diff mount and using thr Rt to sandwich things-so-i should be in stock location at that end.

The other end is my BWT-5 which has a mount bracket modified to fit my s-30. I think my trans is hanging to low, but would like to hear what operating angle is on a stock Nissan trans in the right chassis to compare with mine.

I have been reading site after site on pinion angles and realized that my earlier calculations were not right. I am revisiting this issue, but knowing what Nissan did with the short DS operating angles would help clue me in. Obviously by all the threads I have been reviewing there has been numerous issues with getting this right---probably because of our very short shaft.

This is exactly the set up I have now and there is no thumps or noises like there use to be with stock strap, Couldn't be happier.

Why is everyone trying to "reinvent the wheel"? If you use the stock mount and the Ron Tyler mount with a bump stop, all you've done is installed a solution that is far superior to stock but at the same time kept the alignment that Nissan engineers intended. The stock rubber mount also prevents vibration from causing stress fracture of the cross member.....even if it damaged. IMO......Use the R/T mount with a bump stop and the stock rubber mount.....works great on all 5 of my cars.