IGNORED

Ron Tyler Differential Mount

Travel'n Man

I'm cured!!

I'm not saying you will have the same correction but this mount is solid. For right at $100 it may be worth your time to try if you are trying to loose your CLUNK

You will need the Ron Tyler Mount from Monkeyroost at HybridZ and you will need to purchase a Suspension Techniques GM Transmission Mount - I got mine from Summit - both totaled right at $100. I did have to grind off my fuel supply insulater bracket - I left the insulator in tact - the bottom screw from that insulator in my transmission tunnel was not allowing the mount to fit all the way up due to the screw sticking out from that insulator support. A little friendly help with a air hammer and the bolt holes lined right up.

I also replaced my e-brake cable with a new one - I know - I've got a buddy that has several if you don't mind paying the price but they are dead on replacments - brand new - on the money - perfect reproduction - so I took the driveshaft out to get to the e-brake area. Since that was out I had some room to work on the mount. It only took a few minutes to take the shaft out..........just a thought if you need more room to work............I wish I would have done this months ago.

I also retorqued all the major suspension components in the rear of the car.

If you are getting tired of your Clunking Differential I would strongly recommend trying this and doing your own research at our site and over at HybridZ and search for R/T Mount and Ron Tyler.

The results are noiseless shifts........just what it should be.

My last confession was a week ago..............let me just say this is the complete fix for the rear of my Z. Changing gears is a pure pleasure.

We have a nice color change going on in my area and this afternoon the weather was great and so is my rear end. The car is solid as the day she rolled off the show room.

I would have to think this is the "cure" for the Differential Blues............................

By the way...the Summit UPC is ENS-3-1108G price is $21.75

Edited by Travel'n Man
Error

I left an email for Roostmonkey a couple days ago since you suggested this in a previous post to me. Still waiting to hear back. I will be redoing the rear end soon and I might as well do it "while I'm there"

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I know several people are following this thread and to date since my install of the R/T Mount I have had absolutly zero noises in my diff area...........I hope your results will be as consistant as mine.

This post is from a previous post in a different thread with the same topic-----

This is the ultimate correction for my differential challange.

This mounts goes into the exact same bolt holes as the Strap (4 bolts) and totally replaces the strap (I have one for sale if anybody needs one) Of course I will NEVER put it back on my car. There is an energy bushing that goes in the top and the unit is mounted into the original holes for the strap - pretty basic (the Datsun strap is mounted to the top of the diff and the Insulator is mounted to the bottom - with the R/T Mount they both are up top - nothing on the bottom). I got this installed (approx 30 min), retorqued all the main components in the rear and this is solid as a rock. There is enough flex for the diff due to the suspension bushing that is designed to be used with it, so it is NOT metal to metal.

Their is absolutly no Clunk or any noise at all other than the tone from my exhaust and the big smile on my face. I was abusing the gear pattern with absolutly zero noise. Shifting was smooth regardless of how hard I was shifting. NO CLUNK AT ALL - AT ANY RPM - AT ANY SPEED - IN ANY GEAR.

Within the past two months I have installed new:

U-Joints Half Shafts (4)

U-Joints Propeller Shaft (2)

Replacment R-180 Diff

Diff Cover Gasket

Diff Mount (I have a used slightly used one for sale)

Diff Mount Bar Insulator

Diff Bar Washer

Diff Seal Front

Diff Seal Side (2)

Ron Tyler Mount

Suspension Techniques GM Transmission Mount

Re-Torque Main Components

This was the complete fix for the my clunk (along with re-torqueing).

Edited by Travel'n Man

Well-it's been another week and another great driving week with some outstanding fall colors for driving in the mountains with a lot of twistys. All is excellent with the mount, and gears are shifting as they should. I've only got a few more driving weeks before the snow and salt start coming down. I'll give one last update here in a another week or so but as she drives right now the R/T mount is dead on perfect!

My only problem is I should have done this a long time ago.

I got my mount from Brad a few weeks ago, but I'm waiting for the snow to start flying (and the car coming off the road) until I put it in. I was wondering how I'd modify the crossmember, since I would't need the bottom mount anymore. Excellent pics Dave, thanks.