IGNORED

Steeing racks?

well people who claim to know every thing about z's seem pretty not helpful!

all my toyota and mopar people are lot more helpful

seems all Z people are kinda odd or not very helpful!

So far........

Wow, that's a sure way to get some more silence... Alienating those who you're seeking help from is not going to help your cause or your standing on this board, however you seem to be answering your own questions anyway. Keep up the good work. :stupid:

eh don;t worry its not always this forum its mostly hybrid Z. Some locals I have met which I have met many! Some good alot bad! I met 2 who when I came over for help were drunk or almost drunk and thought they were gods. i"m more or less glad they can't use the internet!

the part I keep getting confused on is this

the steering ratio changed from 15.8 to 18.0.

does that mean its quicker? or more highway friendly?

also I myself don't like the removal of lube points in the rack!

Now I have to take the rack apart to use better slicker lube =(

the part I keep getting confused on is this

the steering ratio changed from 15.8 to 18.0.

does that mean its quicker? or more highway friendly?

18.0:1 is more "highway friendly" than 17.8:1 but not by a large margin. The 206 (US) version of the Haynes manual shows the same steering ratio as Alan has found in the FSM for the HLS30-U 240Z. It also shows the 260Z with a ratio of 18.0:1. That is only a 0.2:1 difference between the two. The turning circle data is the same for both at 31.4ft (9.6m), 2.7 turns lock to lock.

I am left wondering, where did you find the 240Z steering ratio shown as 15.8.1?

Edited by geezer

Will is correct. The Comp Department steering knuckles are 10mm shorter and can be fitted to the later cars. This quickens steering and increases effort. These knuckles were simply the early ones marketed as a competition upgrade.

The steering knuckles on the early cars is perhaps a subject best left for another thread but since they have been mentioned, maybe someone knows or has an early car that still has the original knuckles fitted, can clear this up for me. The US/Canada 240Z parts catalog has both 105mm and 115mm knuckles listed up to 06/70. Did any of the cars actually come equipt with the 105mm knuckles or is this a misconception?

I know the ball joints were strengthened 07/70 starting with HLS30-07985 and the steering knuckles had to be changed at the same time in order to mate up but there is no documentation anywhere that I can find that mentions a change being made from 115mm to 105mm steering knuckles before or after 06/70. It appears to me the 105mm version was only an over the counter part. From 07/70 to 07/73 both 115mm & 105mm versions are still listed in the forementioned catalog.

I have been studying the examples I have on hand and haven't figured out yet where the measurements of 105mm & 115mm come from either. I measure 110mm & 100mm center to center.

Sorry for the sidetrack, just something I've been wondering about.

Edited by geezer

The part numbers for the comp knuckles are 40052-E4202 & 40053-E4202. Don't know about availability. Never heard of the smaller ball joint shafts breaking.

I noticed that the microfiche has the set substitution listed:

Knuckle Arm 40052/3-E4101

Ball Joint 78500

changed to

Knuckle Arm 40052/3-E4102

Ball Joint 40160-A8600

These are all 115mm, there is no mention of 105mm. The 105mm are only listed as over the counter parts with the same numbers listed in the comp catalog.

As conedodger mentioned the 105mm comp knuckles will fit the 260Z, as well as the entire S30 lineup, unless you still have the pre 07/70 knuckle/balljoint set, in which case you will need to replace as a matched set.

Edited by geezer