IGNORED

Steeing racks?

So from what I have been finding on odd Z web pages

is that 260z and up had a iron cast steering rack. With a less fun gear ratio in it! Is this ture? I also see there are no lube points which I have seen on the 240z racks ! are the 240z racks better and do they have a better ratio?

I think that some of the Fun is due to the quick steering knuckles that came on early cars, and were frequently added to competition cars-they changed the steering geometry, and made for "quick steering". I believe the sought after parts were 10mm shroter than the standard(on later model) parts. Somewhere I contributed to a thread and posted side by side photos and measurements as I recall.

I'll have a look and post a link if I can find the original thread.

Will

Will

Yes, there are several differences:

1. The housing material changed from cast aluminum to cast iron.

2. The pinion shaft support changed from a [ball] bearing and bushing to two [ball] bearings.

3. The outside diameter of the rack support area increased, thus requiring different bushings on the front crossmember.

4. The oil filler maintenance ports were eliminated.

5. The steering ratio changed from 15.8 to 18.0.

6. The rubber rack boots mounting was changed from a rubber band to a screw clamp.

Casting shame on the people you're contacting for help is probably not the best approach. However, you're entitled to your opinion. I've always found this group to be very responsive and helpful - perhaps it's how one asks.

Dennis

well people who claim to know every thing about z's seem pretty not helpful!

all my toyota and mopar people are lot more helpful

seems all Z people are kinda odd or not very helpful!

So far........

I haven't met anyone yet who claims to know everything about Zs. Most of us are learning from each other as we gain our individual experiences or knowledge. I for one learned from the posts you made in this thread. For instance I didn't know:

1. The housing material changed from cast aluminum to cast iron.

2. The pinion shaft support changed from a [ball] bearing and bushing to two [ball] bearings.

3. The outside diameter of the rack support area increased, thus requiring different bushings on the front crossmember.

4. The oil filler maintenance ports were eliminated.

5. The steering ratio changed from 15.8 to 18.0.

6. The rubber rack boots mounting was changed from a rubber band to a screw clamp.

Just my thoughts on these 6 points...They are what I would consider improvements to the original design from a longevity/durability standpoint for the most part and just a natural progression in Nissan's efforts to improve the vehicle, using the feedback derived from testing and customer response. Also, every opportunity to reduce cost would have been taken advantage of. Point #4 would be an example of that. Point #5 was probably a result of customer feedback and the voice of the "weaker sex" being heard perhaps. Now, to answer your question, I would say the later version is the better rack in the typical consumers view unless you take into consideration the slight performance gains of a faster steering ratio and a small weight savings. Would I swap out my original 240Z rack? Nope.

Just to let you know, I did look through the printed material I have, trying to find some answers for you that you did not already know and came up empty, so I didn't post. Please, don't take not getting a satifactory answer or no answer at all the wrong way. We all help when we can, if we can.