IGNORED

Hagerty Insurance

There is no restriction on where you drive to. You have to maintain a separate insurance policy for a daily driver, and the insured car has to be stored in a garage. Those are the only restrictions.

Hi Paul:

Well - - not quite. The Policy states that you can NOT use your Classic Car in lew of your Daily Driver. In effect you can't use your Classic for transportation purposes.

As in most of our laws in the U.S. "intent" is a major factor in reaching a legal judgment.

Doug has it pretty well pinned down.

Classic Cars are NOT used for "transportation purposes". If you intent it to get to work and home that day - then NO the Classic Car Policy offers no coverage. Doesn't really matter if your DD was running or not, because that didn't change your "intent".

If your intent was to take your Classic Car to work - to show it to your co-workers, or just to show it off - then YES - your Classic Car Policy provides coverage for Pleasure USE.

The average person would say; "what's the difference - in either case you are driving your car to and from work?" The difference is your intent - and the specific words you use when you tell the Insurance Company what happened matter.

1. "Well I was on my way to work and this moron ran a red light and hit the car in front of me, I couldn't stop fast enough so I ran into them both."

2. "It was a beautiful morning, so I decided to take my Classic Car to work for my co-workers to see. On the way this moron ran a red light and hit the car in front of me. As both cars collided and spun directly in front of me, there was no way to avoid them.

Make statement #1 to the cop on the scene, or the insurance company - and chance are good that your claim would be denied. There is also a chance that the cop would give you a ticket for "Failure To Maintain An Assured Clear Distance Ahead"... Saying "I couldn't stop fast enough" is admitting that you didn't allow a safe distance from the car ahead....

Make statement #2 to the cop on the scene and the insurance company and chances are good that the claim would be paid. Saying that "there was no way to avoid them" is a statement of the situation, but it is not an admittance of improper behavior on your part... ie not tickets..

Your WORDS matter - to the cops and insurance companies specific words and statements have very specific meanings. They listen for statements of INTENT - - That is why any Lawyer will tell you - the ONLY statement you have to make to a Cop is " I have nothing to say without my lawyer present".

Speaking of "intent" - don't get a Classic Car Insurance Policy with the intent of pulling the wool over the insurance companies eyes... If your co-workers tell the investigator that you drive that car to work two or three times a week - you could be in a world of hurt with legal fees, to avoid being charged with insurance fraud.. The insurance companies don't have to "win" to drive you into financial hell...

Were I worked for many years - we had "Bring Your Daughter To Work" days, "Bring Your Son To Work" days, and yes - "Bring Your Classic, Collectable and Special Interest Cars To Work" days.

FWIW,

Carl B.

All good suggestions Carl. I'll keep that in mind if my precious Z is ever hit, but I hope I never need it! :D

I do occasionally drive the car to work, maybe 2 or 3 times a month to show it off to my co-workers and the guys at the garage out back, but not more than that. Other than that it really is just a weekend toy, but after your post, I'll probably drive it to work less often, just to be safe.

Thanks.

P.S. - The pic in my avatar was taken at my office today. Showing off the Winter upgrades to the boys at work.

Speaking of "intent" - don't get a Classic Car Insurance Policy with the intent of pulling the wool over the insurance companies eyes... If your co-workers tell the investigator that you drive that car to work two or three times a week - you could be in a world of hurt with legal fees, to avoid being charged with insurance fraud.. The insurance companies don't have to "win" to drive you into financial hell...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I know we had this topic come up before when I posted about getting Hagerty insurance, and just as Carl said then, what he saying now.... Don't get the insurance with the intent of pulling the wool over their eye's... I think they call it insurance fraud.

What Carl said is about what I was told a few years ago by Hagerty. In my case, I drive it to work on sunny days when it isn't too warm outside (no A/C). In May and June, this could be every day for several weeks. Once the hot summer arrives, I might drive it once a week. Throughout the northern driving season, I might take it to work 40 times at 50 miles per round trip. I do work as an automotive engineer, so every day could technically be a "show it to the co-workers" day. ;)

I never drove my cars to work (when I was working). Not the ones that are insured by Hagerty. I could have but why? I was going to work. In my mind, that is just not a pleasure drive regardless of what you do/did for a living.