IGNORED

Hagerty Insurance

I just changed insurance coverage of the Z over to Hagerty Insurance. Last year, with MetLife (with collision paying "book" value) my premium for the year was $548. Through Hagerty, with $10,000 coverage, and a lower deductible, my premium for this year was $151 ($127 premium + $24 to join). Wow!

I know I'm not the first guy to say it, but if you aren't using them, you're throwing away money.

$279 for my 510 at $12k with 1 speeding ticket in the last 5 years. Not bad at all. If your car is totalled they said they will write you a check for $12k. If damaged.... no deductible and they WILL replace mods!!!!!

Edit: Road side service too!!!

Edited by five&dime

I had a claim with Hagerty - I wrote a Post about it.. a few years ago..

Wonderful experience!!.... First time in 35 or so years of driving 240-Z's that I bent a fender, hood, bumper, front spook, lower finisher... Everything replaced with NOS parts..car repainted.. at the shop I wanted to use...Absolutely No Hassle.. they just sent me the check..

They also do a lot to support the Classic, Collectible and Special Interest Car Hobby...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Timely post - I just renewed my policy with American Collector's Insurance this morning.

1971 240Z, $11,500 value, $0 deductible, includes coverage for $500 spare parts and $25 basic towing: Annual Premium - $77.16

For comparison with my other cars on the policy...

Same coverage for 1963 Studebaker Avanti valued $18,000: $120.32

Same coverage for 1970 Porsche valued $31,500: $173.96

There is an annual mileage limitation of 2,500 on each car, which is not a problem for me - but may be for some.

Dennis

I've got both my collectables covered under Hagerty. Just be sure you have your values set correctly to cover a total loss (plan for the worse and hope for the best). You have to have pictures into them and you car(s) have to be garaged full time in a locked garage. I'm sure their claims are far and few between.

I have not had a claim yet (thanks goodness).

1972 Datsun 240 Z

1929 Ford Model A Roadster w/ rumble seat

I wouldn't think of going anywhere else

Edited by Travel'n Man
edit

I would like to use them for my Z, but I don't technically qualify. While I only put around 3000 miles per year on my car, most of that mileage is to work on nice, sunny days. I don't have the time to drive it around and not go anywhere, so I am forced to drive it to work if I want to get any seat time in it. My Z is always in a garage and I have a DD so I qualify other than the to and from work rule.

I would like to use them for my Z, but I don't technically qualify. While I only put around 3000 miles per year on my car, most of that mileage is to work on nice, sunny days. I don't have the time to drive it around and not go anywhere, so I am forced to drive it to work if I want to get any seat time in it. My Z is always in a garage and I have a DD so I qualify other than the to and from work rule.

I'm in the same boat as you Jeff, I only drive my Z from late spring, into summer, and early fall.

I usually just bus it into work, but when the mood suites me I may decide I want to drive into work, and than take a nice leisurely cruise home from work.

Unfortunately Hagerty frowns on doing this, and I put to much sweat into it not to be able to enjoy driving it when I want.

Edited by peng155

My understanding from speaking with Bruce @ Hagerty is that you can drive your car whenever and anywhere you want, provided you are doing so for "pleasure" rather than necessity.

Necessity would only be when your DD with regular insurance on it is unavailable. If your DD is available, and you choose to drive your classic anywhere because it is a nice sunny day and it gives you pleasure to do so, then no worries.

Edited by DougN