IGNORED

1970 Series I 240Z Unique Parts

texasz

Chris,

Yes, I said your old thread was about grey ashtrays, but you also mentioned that the radio face plate is made of similar grey plastic in post #6 http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=56342&postcount=6 and Steve Matsumoto (who owned #238 at the time) noted the heater control panel and radio faceplate in #238 were also grey http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67807&postcount=7.

Both of the heater control panels I posted pictures of were used, so I don't attribute the color difference to fading. There are too many documented original early cars with grey HCPs, map lights, and radio surrounds for the color difference to be due to fading. Also, the map light and radio surrounds are the same color grey on the back because they are made of grey plastic, not due to fading. Check with Jim F and Carl on this.

Here is a picture from Kats' site that shows the grey panels as one of the unique 1969 production items http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz240zsports/1969heaterpanel.jpg.

-Mike

Point of note on the dash. The blanked hole above the hazard switch was for dealer / aftermarket fog or driving lights. They even had a factory switch for it, though the only one I have ever seen was on my dad's car and was installed in England. 70 and early 71 cars are all pre-wired for foglights, from the dash to the front of the car...check your wiring diagrams and then check your cars...its all there, right down to the 9.5mm holes (3/8in) in the bumper.

Hi Mike/Chris:

Here is a picture of the item in HLS30 00016. That is two owner car, and as I recall it has about 70-80K miles. Always garaged and cared for.. We drove it back to Florida from Ohio with the original 1969 Spark Plug Wires still in place..

As you can see, compared to the Black Dash,and Heater Control nobs - the Heater Control Panel is gray.

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150806946172_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

These are the two map light face plates I have. The gray one at the top is out of 26th and the black one at the bottom came from a friend-of-the-Z. 27th didn't come with a map light. You will notice black paint covering the back side of the gray one. There's evidence for my case. Please notice this occurance of a gray plastic circumcized map light face plate as well as a black plastic circumcized map light face plate. In real lighting, the gray is the color of the console face from #16. The other face plate is real black. Back tomorrow after I photograph the instument finisher in 27th.

post-4148-14150806998714_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150806999453_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150806999929_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

I'm having trouble getting a good picture for comparison purposes, but I have both gray instrument face plates and black ones. And I have both black and gray radio face plates also. Here is a real good shot of the instrument face plate from 26th. Obviously gray. Notice the heater switch is different from the typical fan symbol on the switch.

Then, a picture from 27th with the more typical heater switch knob. Obviously gray as well. I realize that the radio has been changed in 27th, but notice that the volume control label on the face plate was painted silver whereas Jim's face plate shows no sign of the silver highlighting.

I'll have to admit that at first I just attributed the gray to fading but now that you are making me take a hard look at all of this I'm inclined to agree.

post-4148-14150807008029_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150807008199_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some time ago, I bought HLS30-00403 for parts. The instrument finisher, although trashed, is definitely black compared to the finisher from 26th. Same molding, just black over the chrome. Note that the actual plastic under the chrome plating is cream white (yellowed from sunlight).

A long time ago when Chloe was around, I found and bought this Hitachi radio brand new in the box. The face plate is black plastic and the raised label highlights are all painted silver.

Coupled with the ash trays from 26th, 27th, and 403rd - all gray plastic painted black - I am / was assuming that all the interior finishes were black.

Searching through the parts books, I find instrument finisher 68830-E4100, E4101, E4600 and 68831-E4100 all applying to the year and model in our discussion.

Resting my case now...

post-4148-14150807008612_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150807009086_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I attached pictures from the brouchure,

#1 1969 Z432 instrument panel

#2 1969 240Z instrument panel

#3 1969 seats

#4 1972 seats

#5 1969 plastic headlight case

Looks grey in the panel, and can you see the difference of the seat back what I am saying?

And please see the headlight case, this early one has sharp edge around the lamp.

kats

post-3193-14150807050598_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150807051141_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150807051677_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150807052109_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150807052541_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Dredging up an old thread. I noticed yesterday that two of the six screw holes for the aluminum door sill that says "Datsun" from a 71 would not line up with the holes on my 1/1970 car. The bottom two (of three ) holes on the vertical part of the sill, the front one and back one on the 71 were each about two inches closer to the middle of the sill on the 71 than on my 70. In violation of murphy's law the PO of my car had used self tapping screws of the correct thread and diameter to hold non stock carpeting down in the same holes for the sill so I just used them to drill new holes in the right places since I had the screws that came from the 71 sill. I wire wheeled the sills with a bench grinder wire wheel and a fine wire wheel on a drill and waxed them to improve appearance as they were originally very dirty.

Mike

• 1 year later...
Dredging up an old thread. I noticed yesterday that two of the six screw holes for the aluminum door sill that says "Datsun" from a 71 would not line up with the holes on my 1/1970 car. The bottom two (of three ) holes on the vertical part of the sill, the front one and back one on the 71 were each about two inches closer to the middle of the sill on the 71 than on my 70.

Mike

Yep. They moved the holes closer to the middle on later models to get better access to the screws because the door gets in the way. I noticed this last year when updating the sills and had to drill new holes.

• 10 months later...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but, while I was at a show yesterday I noticed that the plastic left and right side interior trim panels on the series one cars have no perforations where they line up with the 240z pillar emblems on the outside, later cars have perforations in these trim panels that line up with the vents on the outside. The areas I am describing are circled in red in this parts fiche image.

post-8626-14150829663512_thumb.jpg

Also the series one brake master cylinders have the reservoirs reversed as compared to series two and later. I know this has been noted in other brake system related threads but I thought it would be worth including here.

Mike

Edited by CanTechZ

Noticed something on 502. The lettering on the glass on the passenger 1/4 window and the door glass is backwards. Is this unique to this car or something that happened on some of the other 1969 cars?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73286[/ATTACH]

Is the etching on the inside or outside of the glass? Maybe they were switched left for right?