IGNORED

1970 Series I 240Z Unique Parts

texasz

By chance does anyone have a list of all the unique parts on the Series I cars? I know that there have been many many discussions over the years that talk about one item or another...even a couple conversations that may list a few of the differences. I have yet to see an exhaustive list of these parts all in one place though.

I'll start with what I can think of off the top of my head:

• fuse box
  • ash tray
  • pillar emblems
  • E31 head
  • "Nissan 2400 OHC" valve cover
  • E31 block
  • map light (no shroud)
  • metal fan (behind radiator)
  • tail light wire harness (has aprox. 1" white molex plug)
  • door key and locks
  • coin holder
  • seats (non-reclyning)
  • toolbox lids
  • coat hangers
  • seat belts
  • steering knuckles (shorter than later models and smaller ball joints)
  • tranny (has straight shift stick)
  • shift stick
  • inner rubber shifter boot
  • center console
  • choke assembly in passenger compartment
  • choke plate on center console
  • hazzard switch
  • dash (depression above hazzard switch is unused and thus not cut open)
  • speedo (the numbers start at 20MPH)
  • steering wheel
  • gas door
  • gas cap
  • expansion tank (it's metal, they changed to plastic)
  • carbs (4-screw style)
  • front bumper mounts
  • rear bumper mounts
  • combo switch
  • steering column (different number of teeth)
  • hatch
  • interior hatch trim piece
  • hatch vents (on exterior of hatch)
  • hatch vents/drain tubes (inside the hatch itself)

This should be a good starting point and if anyone can add what the differences are that would be even better (specifics are always best)...and if any of the above is incorrect please share. :classic:

Not all of the items you listed are unique to the "series 1" cars. My car (4/71 build) is an early example of what some people in the U.S. call a "series 2" and it has, or originally had several of those items:

E31 head

Series A transmission

4-screw SU carbs.

Dash mounted hazard switch

Unused depression above the hazard switch.

A lot of those things you list are common to all of the pre-73 cars.

(or perhaps even to all of the 240s)

• Like 1

Walter, you are correct about the parts you listed from your car. There was a period of transition during which many cars got only SOME of the Series I parts. It has been speculated on this site and others that they just used up what parts they had then switched that part over to the new one. Good examples of these are the heads, valve covers, gas doors, ash trays, etc.

I suppose I should have been more clear about the existence of this transitional period, please forgive me for that.

Perhaps I may be wrong, but isn't the E31 the head not the block? Just a nit.

It's both. Nobody really talks about the block casting code much so I had not realized this either. About the only block casting codes people talk about much are the N42 and F54.

Ho boy, lots to do here. Remember that the soi-disant "Series 1" designation here in the USA generally indicates a car built through early Jan. 71, the change coming at around VIN #20000. The late-71s (sometimes aka "Series 2") ran from the end of Series 1 production through 8/71.

• ash tray - Same basic style used through 8/71, several small variations during the run.
  • E31 head - Many late-71s had the E31 head, through 5/71 at least, maybe longer. By 7/71 (my current car) had gone to the first of four E88 variations.
  • "Nissan 2400 OHC" valve cover - Not all Series 1 had these. Apparently none of the automatic-equipped cars (from 9/70-12/70) had them, and even the manual transmission cars seemed to lose these sometime in 10/70.
  • metal fan (behind radiator) - All '70 and '71 cars, through 8/71.
  • tail light wire harness (has aprox. 1" white molex plug) - There were many wiring harness differences, even within the Series 1 cars. The tail light harness plug size difference is a minor thing, but is actually related to a complete change in the brake light function on USA cars. The Series 1 cars use all three red bulbs per side as brake lights, the Series 2 and later only use the upper and lower outside pair.
  • coin holder - I could be wrong here if you are talking about some small variation I'm not aware of, but if not all '70-71 cars had this, again through 8/71.
  • seats (non-reclyning) - Same again, they didn't change to the ratcheting recliner mechanism until the '72 model year. Standard on all '70-71.
  • steering knuckles (shorter than later models and smaller ball joints) - Only early Series 1. The knuckles that take the smaller ball joints were phased out during the middle of Series 1 production. From personal experience, after 6/70 but before 10/70.
  • tranny (has straight shift stick) - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • inner rubber shifter boot - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • center console - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • choke assembly in passenger compartment - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • choke plate on center console - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • dash (depression above hazzard switch is unused and thus not cut open) - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • gas door - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • gas cap - All '70-71 again, through 8/71.
  • expansion tank (it's metal, they changed to plastic) - Other way around, and not strictly a Series 1 change. Early cars (like my former 10/70 and 4/71 cars) used a plastic tank, through 6/71 according to the parts list. After 6/71 they had metal tanks (like my 7/71 has).
  • carbs (4-screw style) - 4 screw carbs were used for all '70-71 cars. The very early cars had some differences (lack of float drains, different shape float covers), but those were phased out long before the end of Series 1 production.
  • front bumper mounts - I'm not aware of any differences here until the '73 model year.
  • rear bumper mounts - Same as above.
  • combo switch - Many electrical parts are slightly different, but again, they even vary within the Series 1 run.

The obvious miss in your list is the defroster switch (added around VIN #1400 or so). The Series 1 defroster switch is black and unlighted. For late-71 it is orane and lights up when switched on.

• Thanks 1

What about the red dot mirror..? wasn't sure if that was series 1 only.
Only in very early Series 1. Later Series 1 had the same mirror stalk as the red-dot, but without the red-dot itself.

There's lots more , I'll add : Plastic clips for early inspection lids

: Chromed plastic gas lid locks, not metal (early)

: Gray dash components, not black

: Dual hand/choke throttle levers

: Clear hatch glass / no defrost lines

: Unique gas lines/filler/no expansion tank

: Less than 4 digit VIN'S (duh )

: Early console shape

: Carpet stay at back of seats between tool boxes

: Was it metal headlight housings ?

: Steering wheels had solid spokes

: Plastic covers screwed on under seats

: Vinyl wrap for passenger side wire loom(2 snaps)

: Early radios were unique

: Early throttle/choke were cables ,not solid (Kats)

: Your turn !

Many of the parts being mentioned here are low-VIN parts, not Series 1 parts, strictly speaking.

: Plastic clips for early inspection lids - Low-VIN only

: Chromed plastic gas lid locks, not metal (early) - Low-VIN only

: Gray dash components, not black - Low-VIN only

: Dual hand/choke throttle levers - Low-VIN only

: Clear hatch glass / no defrost lines - Lower-VIN only, before around #14xx

: Unique gas lines/filler/no expansion tank - Low-VIN only

: Less than 4 digit VIN'S (duh )

: Early console shape

: Carpet stay at back of seats between tool boxes - Low-VIN only?

: Was it metal headlight housings ? - "plastic" headlight buckets through '72, metal after that.

: Steering wheels had solid spokes

: Plastic covers screwed on under seats - Low-VIN only

: Vinyl wrap for passenger side wire loom(2 snaps)

: Early radios were unique

: Early throttle/choke were cables ,not solid (Kats) - Low-VIN only

Hello, it is interesting, I love this conversation.

"front bumper mounts" - I am not for sure this is APPLICABLE for all cars until late 1970 or not, but my 03/70 240Z has a bumper which has single mounting bolt for each frontside(left/right)

accordingly the black mounting bracket has only one hole for bumper side to connecting the bumper.This bracket is very thin metal to compare the later one.

The Bumper overrider is slightly wider than the later one.And the guard rubber mounting is unique, not bolted but snapped rubber nipple.Not for sure when it has changed.

kats

Hi,

Seat belt hanger is mounted on the seat back, and I think 10/69 to 12/69 has a metal hanger which is covered by brack vinyl.From 01/70 has a black plastic hanger.

BTW, Only a few 1969(prototype?) japanese S30s have a hanger on the middle of the seatback like Exported 240Zs up to mid 1971.

All the other Japanese S30s have a hanger on the top of the seatback up to mid 1971.

And the seatback is little bit fatter when you look at from the side(thicker, I mean more sponge form around the holding area of your back) than the later one.If you compare the early one and the later one really cafully,you will find the difference of width of cutting pattern of vinyl material.

I can not explain better without picture.

kats