IGNORED

1970 Series I 240Z Unique Parts

texasz

I don't know when they changed but my low vin door hinges did not have an indention to keep the door from fully opening.You have to push the doors past the notch to fully open the doors. Ronnie

• Like 1

Hello all! Comment about the gray plastic interior / console pieces. They were molded in gray plastic and painted black. There is no such thing as a gray interior. If you see gray, the black finish has rubbed off.

Well..... here's a case or anomaly (sp?) I've seen a low vin car (in the 100's)

with distinctive gray , not black , not black rubbed off , not painted inserts and radio surround at the upper console. Our cars were side by each to do a comparison , and the difference was as plain as day. The gray color almost matches the gray tailight surrounds. So , after seeing other early vin pics on the various websites confirming these gray parts I always thought these were only found on really early z's.

Comment about the gray plastic interior / console pieces. They were molded in gray plastic and painted black. There is no such thing as a gray interior. If you see gray, the black finish has rubbed off.

Chris,

Sorry, but that is not correct. The plastic map light surround, the radio faceplate and the ashtray were made of molded grey plastic. Only the top of the ashtray was lightly spray painted black. Here is a thread you started from a couple of years ago that discusses the grey ashtrays and some of the other grey items http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9374. Also, see the attached picture of the original interior from HLS30-00032.

The heater control panel was chromed first, and then painted grey instead of black. The "AIR, TEMP, and DEF" lettering molded into the early heater control panel is also larger, and the lettering on the three control position stickers (OFF-VENT-HEAT, OFF-HEAT, and DEF-ROOM) is white instead of silver. See the side by side comparison pics I attached below of a damaged early version vs a later version.

-Mike

post-9102-14150806940454_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150806940881_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150806941305_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150806941725_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150806942143_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150806942564_thumb.jpg

I assume that the expansion tank being discussed in the post above is the fuel expansion tank on the passenger side rear.

This is not a coolant expansion tank? I have never seen a coolant expansion tank in a 240z as OEM, is that correct?

Does anyone know when the switch was made on the oil pressure gauge from the early 140lbs to the 90?

Thanks,

Bob

Does anyone know when the switch was made on the oil pressure gauge from the early 140lbs to the 90?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

This is information I gleaned from Wick Humble's Book "How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car", page 197.

Previous to HLS30-21001, all Z-cars were shipped with an oil-pressure gauge that indicated up to 140 psi. Because the L24 was designed for less than 60 psi, Datsun had received many complaints of low oil pressure from owners, myself included. A gauge that showed a larger proportion of needle sweep for the normal pressure made sense, so a 90 psi gauge was substituted, beginning with late 240Zs.

The lower-reading gauge required a different sender. A 6kg unit supplanted the previous 10kg one. These had to be compatible; a mismatch would give an incaccurate reading so they were only interchangeable as a pair. No change was specified for the water-temperature part of this combination gauge. Parts numbers are:

New Part:

Gauge: 90 psi

24830-E8300

or 24830-E8301

Sender switch:

6kg

25070-89900

or 25070-89900

Old Part:

"Gauge: 140 psi

24830-E4400

Sender switch:

10kg

25070-89910

Datsun didn't intend to stock the early 10kg sender after dealer supplies ran out, so if you have to replace yours on an early 240Z, carefully check part numbers. You may need to change your gauge if the 25070-89910 sender switch isn't available. The later gauge is otherwise indentical with the original type.

Hope this explanation helps.

Dan

My car is a 9/71 and seems to have both the early and later attributes. Non reclining seats, blanked dash hole, dual choke levers, ect... So I am saying that the dates are not set in stone.

My car is a 9/71 and seems to have both the early and later attributes. Non reclining seats, blanked dash hole, dual choke levers, ect... So I am saying that the dates are not set in stone.

Yours would be one of those transitional cars mentioned in an earlier post. They used the parts until they were gone then went to the new part...that's been my understanding from many dscussions here and on other sites over the years. Hence the mixture of newer and older parts on many of the 1971 Z cars.

If by "dual choke levers" you mean a choke and a hand throttle, that must have been added by a prior owner. In the US, only the earliest cars had them installed by the factory and all of them were supposed to be removed at the port or by the dealer before being sold. A few of them may have slipped through without being removed. Two of my 1969 production cars had evidence that they were installed at some point (plastic grommet still on the top of the throttle pedal) but there is no way the factory would have still been installing them on a 9/71 car to be sold in the US.

-Mike

Mike,

My old thread was about ash trays, not the console. I agree with the pictures you posted but keep in mind that the finish on top of the chrome is old. Of course it would look gray compared to new. I'll have to go dig mine out of the box. And I agree that the map light (circumcized) and radio face plate were molded of gray plastic, but I do not agree that they were mismatched with the rest of the black interior. Hmmm...may be throwing me a loop.

26th came with the hand throttle and 27th's was either removed or never installed. All the mechanism is gone and it has been obviuosly molested.

Edited by 26th-Z

Hi 26th (Chris) the car I saw had original , mis matched , un molested panels.

It looked very noticable , the gray surrounds/panels not even close to the rest of the interior's black colour . These were definately *not* rubbed or worn !