IGNORED

"New" 73 240Z question...and Hello

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again!

So, my son has driven the car a few times "for me" and sent me an email describing the joy...I will be there next week to drive the car AND kick his *ss!

Anyway, he said the rear tires hit the top of the wheel wells when going over any dips or bumps...I figure it needs a new suspension all the way around. So I have been searching and reading until my eyes hurt...there is way too much info on this site! I am going to post in the suspension forum, if you have any input please read!!

Thanks again!

What is the rear tire size? They do look like they are too wide or tall to clear the fenders. I was having bad rubbing problems with my setup, so I had to trim the flanges a bit. I tried rolling them, but they still rubbed. You might need to change the tire size or go with a different tire/wheel combo.

Hey, missed the thread the first time around...welcome back to the world of Z ownership / the madness....the car looks good...

I agree with Jeff, double check the tire / wheel combo before you tear into the suspension as you might be getting mild rub based on offset / tire size.

Have fun taking her for a spin and make sure the boys displays appropriate respect...

And congratulations on having a caring and understanding wife...all too many of us clearly benefit from our better halves' willingness to indulge our reliving of our youths...

Edited by bigoak

Welcome, I know what you are going through. I retired from the AF in 2004. I rebuilt a 72 Z back when I was 20ish. Then lost my mind and sold it. Got got married, had a Son and now I am finally working on my second Z. I bought mine in Denver from the orignal owner last August. Enjoy!!!

And congratulations on having a caring and understanding wife...all too many of us clearly benefit from our better halves' willingness to indulge our reliving of our youths...

Soooo well put bigoak!! As my wife once said, 'better to relive your youth with a car than several alternatives that come to mind....' Hmmmmm. I question that now and again, but she's right.

Nice looking car! I got my first one a few weeks after coming off of active duty. What a joy it was. I'm on my third one now, with no thoughts of bailing out (unless a better one comes along dirt cheap).

Best of luck. Keep in touch with this board - the knowledge base is simply incredible!

Well I never got around to asking the suspension questions....

However, I went ahead and had my son take the car to the local auto guy in town.

I have used him many times for other vehicles so I trust him, from my own experience.

They went ahead and ordered new "OEM" cartridges tonight/today upon my request. KYB is what he said was listed as direct stock replacement.

I did not get a chance to tell my son to look at the tires...as I came here AFTER I had them order the parts...lesson learned.

It sucks to have to do this from 6000 miles away.

Well, at least I will be there in 5 days!!!!!!!

Thank you all for the well wishes.

And HELLO to all you former AF/Military guys...FROGs :)

I will be one soon, although now that I made the next rank I will be sticking around for a few more years than I had planned on. Bastards know how to get you, huh?

FWIW rubbing tires could also be an indication of sagging original springs. The shocks/struts do little to affect the actual ride height. In effect the springs do the shock absorbing and the struts dampen the oscillation of the springs.

FWIW rubbing tires could also be an indication of sagging original springs. The shocks/struts do little to affect the actual ride height. In effect the springs do the shock absorbing and the struts dampen the oscillation of the springs.

This is not a rip on you Mike, but I hate it when people blame lowing spring or sagging springs on tire rubbing. The tires should not rub at ANY point in their travel all the way to FULL compression. The lowering springs (or sagging springs) don't change the arc of the tire, only the starting position. Just because you can drive around on smooth roads without rubbing doesn't mean they won't rub! What happens when you hit a large swell in the road with two people in it? It will use a large portion of the available travel and if your tires don't clear, it will tear them up or even bend the sheet metal.

I just spent several days with my suspension all apart to fix this condition. I have 16x7 zero offset wheels and 225/50R16 tires and they rubbed in the back. I tried to roll the lips, but it still rubbed. I then removed the springs and jounce bumpers so I could move the tires through full suspension travel and correct the rubbing. It turns out that I had to trim quite a bit off the flange to get them to clear. Once done, I used POR 15 on everything that was disturbed. I now have a car that I could fully bottom and not get any rubbing.

Here are a few pics of mine. You can see how much I had to trim and how the tire now clears (BARELY!) through full travel

Trimmed lip prior to final smoothing and painting

IMG_4132.jpg

Tire in full jounce with spring and jounce bumper removed

IMG_4121.jpg

This is not a rip on you Mike, but I hate it when people blame lowing spring or sagging springs on tire rubbing. The tires should not rub at ANY point in their travel all the way to FULL compression.

Fair enough. Somehow I had it in my mind the springs are never fully compressed in normal driving. On the other hand, I recall Dukes of Hazzard jumps where clearly the springs got compressed all the way and then some. I think they tore up a lot of cars for that show. You'd see the whole fender crumple and in the next cut the car would look perfect again.

I do know that when I replaced my original springs with lowering springs the ride height went up slightly.