IGNORED

Urethane Steering Coupler Failure

chris b

On the weekend one of our Z racers had a fairly new urethane coupler fail on a hill climb track. Essentially it split and half the donut between 2 of the 4 holes fell out.

Has anyone else had this type of failure?

The only warning was that the scrutineer reported some play in the steering prior to the event but not enough to disallow the car to compete.

A possible explanation could be previously spilt brake fluid but this is unlikely.

Are aluminium bilet couplers an answer and does anyone make them?

Several members of the WA Z Register present on the day are considering reverting to the standard rubber coupler but I am not really keen on soggy steering.

About 25 years ago I had a steering coupling made from a material called Fabreeka, it is a multi layered cloth impregnated with rubber. It works well, the original use is for vibration dampening of heavy equipment.

Here is the link.

http://www.fabreeka.com/products/fabreeka_pads.htm

I might have the extra one I made, I would have to look for it.

The ABS coupler will give immediate feedback and it will probably make your forearms nice and big once the pain stops. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a full-on race car. The urethane couplers are fine for everyday use as well as the ocassional track event.

I also agree that this sounds like a defective part.

The ABS coupler will give immediate feedback and it will probably make your forearms nice and big once the pain stops. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a full-on race car. The urethane couplers are fine for everyday use as well as the ocassional track event.

I also agree that this sounds like a defective part.

I used the ABS coupler for years on my Z which I drove daily. No problems at all.

I have had these on every Z I have owned without problems. No real increase in effort was noted, just sharper feedback and handling. I just recently had two built for my pair of 914's out of billet aluminum. They cost me about $35 each. I made 40 of them and sold the rest to other 914 guys.

I would not worry about putting another urathane donut in. It was either defective or overtorqued.