IGNORED

repro window sticker

don356

HLS30 00026 is of course Chris's... and HLS30 03547 was Bill Regan's. You'll note the lack of the "Rear Window Defroster" being listed. The later 70 Window Stickers included it.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl, HLS30-03547 was Wick Humble's car. His window sticker is shown in his book "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car". I believe Bill Regan's car that he restored was HLS30-02545.

It's also interesting to see that they charged Wick Humble an extra $30 for tinted glass, even though I think all US cars came with it standard by that point.

-Mike

Hi Mike:

Your right - I was going from memory there... it was Wick's car...

The very early cars didn't get the tinted glass, nor rear window defroster. As cars started coming through with those items - Nissan had not changed the window stickers yet... So the Dealers being driven to increase the profit per unit - added them to the window stickers and charged the customers for them.

I actually have TWO different window stickers for my first 240-Z. HLS30-1777.

The first one has a bottom line of $3526.00 plus $75.00 shipping for $3601.00 and the second one has Tinted Glass $30.00 and Back Window Defroster $40.00 added in - for a total of $3671.

The Dealers had about 18% GROSS Profit in the Z's, and they were very limited per Dealership.

$3526.00 - $2,988.14 = $537.86 Take the cost of pre-delivery prep. the interest on the floor plan, the salesman's commission and other handling costs out - and the Dealers were left with a net profit of around $300.00 per unit. So adding $70.00 to the early units, along with body side molding, mag wheels, pin striping, undercoating etc - and it was possible to almost double the net profit per unit.

You will also note that the early window stickers don't mention "radial tires"... So when the Dealers put the Mag.'s on, they listed the package as Mag Wheels with Radial Tires... and added anywhere from $495.00 to $650.00.. (for mags that cost them less than a hundred per car)....

Note that Wick's car was also charge $30.00 for "Local Freight"...

Edited by Carl Beck

Interesting story about the two window stickers Carl. It's strange that Wick was charged the $30 for tinted windows, but not the $40 for rear defroster, when his car also came with that. I think the switch over to tinted glass happened earlier than the addition of rear defrosters. I had #882 and it came with all tinted glass except for the passenger door glass, which was clear. This TSB says the rear defroster came standard in US cars starting with HLS30-01456. I guess it was up to each dealer as to how they applied these charges.

-Mike

post-9102-1415080615734_thumb.jpg

Hi Marty:

The File Name is screwed up - that was my mistake when nameing the file - the colored one is for a 1971 Model.. note the signal seeking radio....

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks. So would this one be correct for a 1/71 model?

I am also interested in getting the correct one for a 6/70 model.

Thanks again.

Marty

Hi Marty:

Yes - that one would be correct for a 01/71 Model.

We would need to find a copy of the window sticker for a 240-Z with a VIN between HLS30 04800 and say HLS30 6900.

AIR - Nissan did replace the original Black/White Windowstickers with the newer Colored one's at some point during the 1970 Calendar Year... but I don't recall the specific month that they made the change...

Anyone have a window sticker from that period?????

FWIW,

Carl B.

So for us non photoshop folks who can't figure out how to edit these saved pictures, who wants to make me one for my 1970 and 1971 240's.......Will gladly renumerate for services............

Mally002 - if you need your Z information entered on a copy of the sticker shown in Arne's message #3 (not trying to step on anyone's toes who may be willing to crank these out - I'll gladly bow out if someone is already geared up for this) and other sources don't work out, shoot me an email.

I did mine yesterday and everything is already set up to do more if needed. The sticker shown in message #3 is the ONLY one I'm prepared to do.

Dennis

Close, Chris. The proper name is the "Monroney sticker", named after the Senator who sponsored the bill that required them on all new cars. Snipped from Wikipedia:

In the United States, all new automobiles are required to include an official form listing certain information about the car; this window sticker is commonly called a Monroney sticker in the industry (or simply a window sticker), named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, the Oklahoma senator who sponsored the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958.

The sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States that can only be removed by the ultimate customer (US Code Title 15 Chapter 28 Sections 1231-1233). A fine of up to US$1,000 per vehicle plus one year in jail for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing. The act does not apply to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 8500 pounds (3856 kg).

The sticker must include the following information:

* The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP)

* Engine and transmission specifications

* Standard equipment and warranty details

* Optional equipment and pricing

* City and highway fuel economy ratings, as determined by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)