IGNORED

Windhield Chrome Trim removal

Chart505

Getting all the glass out and ready for paint, it seems impossible to re-use the chrome trim. Is there some sort of secret to this? I am being as careful as poss and the thin trim still bends and tweaks, pretty sure I will need to order new ones.

Its actually pretty easy to get out as long as you're not trying to save the rubber windshield seal. I use a thin metal spatula and carefully remove the two small upper corner trim pieces and the small center piece at the bottom. Then take the spatula and slide it under the outside edge of the trim. Continue sliding the spatula straight down parallel to the windshield rather than lifting up on the trim. This cuts the outside trim channel and after you cut all the way around the trim just lifts out.

-Mike

Getting all the glass out and ready for paint, it seems impossible to re-use the chrome trim. Is there some sort of secret to this? I am being as careful as poss and the thin trim still bends and tweaks, pretty sure I will need to order new ones.

It's not worth the risk of breaking the glass, trying to save the windshield seal. Even if you did manage to seperate the trim, seal & glass without damage ocurring, reassembly is much more difficult. I agree with the above posts, cut the lip overlapping the trim. A little lubrication such as varsol or isopar will help in removal also.

Katcar, there are specialty tools designed for putting the trim back on. There are also two different methods of doing this. Some prefer to subassemble the trim to the windshield seal before installing the assembly on the car. Others, like me prefer to install the seal on the glass, install on the car, then install the trim. No matter which method you use, the secret of success lies in the flexability of the rubber seal. The more flexible it is, the less risk of putting undue stress on the glass. Glass is very unpredictable, so it is important to minimize the risk, by using a new seal, heating it to the proper temperature and using the proper tools for the type of installation. Some people install the mouldings at a later date, when the seal has cooled, which makes the rubber less pliable. It can be done, but it is much easier to do the complete installation all at once, while the rubber is still hot. You will see different recommendations for an installation lubricant. Just make sure to use one that will not harm your paint or trim and is easily cleaned up.

Here is a pic of a tool I made from a paint can opener to replace my specialty trim installation tool. It is the tool on the left from the windshield installation tools. The other pic is what it looked like in it's former life as a paint can opener. You can find these at many paint store and it takes about 5 minutes to fashion into a trim installation tool. To use it, insert into the trim channel with the trim strip inserted into the tool. The tool holds the lips open as you press the trim strip into the channel at the same time as you draw the tool along the length. Join the trim pieces as you go. The red Miller specialty tool in the pic is ideal for placing the smaller end/corner pieces. Or you can buy a specialty tool for doing this.

Take the screen out with the trim. Put it back the same way with the trim installed.
when putting the chrome back on is there a tool to buy
Never seen one that works yet.
I had my glass professionally installed, and the glass guy said the same thing - "Those tools don't work." He did it as Nigel suggested - installed the trim in the rubber before mounting it to the car.

I had my glass professionally installed, and the glass guy said the same thing - "Those tools don't work." He did it as Nigel suggested - installed the trim in the rubber before mounting it to the car.

Professional installation or not, your glass guy just has not been exposed to the right tool for this particular job or been shown how to use it. I have seen the wide array of tools out there for performing this task and I would agree with him that most are not very effective. Most are designed as being "multipurpose" for use on different vehicles. He also has to use the methods and tools in his arsenal on a variety of vehicles. He does the best he can with what he has and is like most of us; sticks with what works. Nothing wrong with that. That does not mean it is the only way or the best way. Take a lesson from the real experts who designed & built our cars. They used a tool similar to what I have shown and used the same method I described. I could expand a great deal on this subject if it was relevent to the thread but only felt the need to point this out.;)

I think I am going to buy the new chrome trim anyways, its fairly scratched up and I makes no sense to have new paint, new seal, new glass and a beat up trim strip. I am going to have to find a windsheild guy in the Atlanta area that knows how to do this, however.

No need to buy new trim. You US guys are lucky that there are plenty of wreaked HLS30's in junk yards.

As the trim is made from stainless steel, all you need to do is find an old set, remove them with a razor blade and take to them with your favourite metal polish. They will look like new at a fraction of the price of a new set (if they are available).

Once I removed mine (like Arne and Mike said with a razar blade) I taped mine to a large cardboard box cut out piece so I could store it and the metal not get damaged. I went to Sears and got a washer box they were going to throw away. These parts are very flexable and have to be handled with care and stored the same way or you will get bends in them that will not come out.

Good luck on your project!